Customer watering his lawn....what do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thunderdogg, May 20, 2004.

1. Thunderdogg

Thunderdogg LawnSite Member

I've been reading this forum for a while and most people will not cut in the rain...for good reason obviously.

If your customer has his sprinklers out and you pull up on your route to mow his lawn...do you still mow even though it's soaking wet?

Do you try to find out when he waters his lawn and work your schedule around it?

Do you turn the sprinkler off and come back later? tomorrow?

Just curious what you would do...seems like it would put a setback in your mowing schedule if you pulled up and the sprinklers are going.

2. Thunderdogg

Thunderdogg LawnSite Member

The reason I'm wondering, is it seems like your equipment would damage his yard, or leave tracks, etc if the ground was moist...much like after a rain.

Tim

3. BOSS MAN

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

Right now in Oklahoma we are in the middle of the rain season. We have to mow when it's wet or else we lose money. We can not afford to come back at a later time and mow. Our company does roughly sixty residentials in a day. You do the math on that one. Even though the grass is wet we use the 21's. Depending on how wet the grass is we'll use the 36's. It's all up to the supervisor of each crew to make that call. So personally I think you can get away with it. Just a quick note.... it's almost impossible to bag when it's wet. Besides we use mulching blades pretty much year round. Hope this helps!!!

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just ask the customer not to run the sprinkler the night before or the morning of the day I cut their grass. Most people think the grass shouldn't be cut when it's wet anyway. It's not a problem for them to set the sprinklers on the timer this way because I'm always at their house on the same day of the week.

5. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Tell the customer what day you will be doing their yard and have them adjust to it. For the women customers, our guys have even gone so far as to reprogram their controller for them.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Turn off the sprinkler and mow it. I have done so many times. Im not going to come back later.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I do this, and I will reset the computer if they need help. If I show up and it's on I shut it off and mow it unless I am in that area all day, then I leave it until last. If the yard is small it is easy to blow off with the back pack blower first. i

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The first thing I ask a new customer is, what are your watering techniques. That first question will help you avoid what you are going through right now