customer with 2 pit bulls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, May 16, 2008.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

ok guys i just picked up a 12 acer horse farm to mow, there are only 3 acers of grass anyway thats besides the point. the home own has 2 pit bulls that have free run of the place, the owner warrend me that she had them but assured me that they are "friendly" and would leave me alone. as i was mowing i noticed the dogs walking around but they never bothered me and any time i got close to them they started wagging there tails and what not. and when i stoped to move a trampoleen the one came up and was giveing me kisses and being very friendly. my question is do i have to worry about these dogs? i here alot of storys about bit bulls attacking and how they can be friendly one sec and ready to attack the next. what do you guys think i should do?
    thanks
    alex
    ps. don't mind my spelling i'm t olazzy to do spell check after mowing all day.

2. joe the lawn guy

joe the lawn guy LawnSite Senior Member

well i think you have to make that call do you need the acc. by the looks of your sig. you don't? is it worth the $$$$

3. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

keep some dog repelent w/ u just in case.... I have one cause there are some wild dogs that run free and ive been told that they aren't as friendly as they look....

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly, many dogs can be friendly one second and then soon after be very aggressive. Of coarse pit bulls have a very bad rep which does tend so scare most people of them. If they seemed happy to see you and "kissed" you then I don't see there being any problems with them, just don't act threatening toward them, maybe even bring some treats for them so you can really be-friend them. Good Luck!!

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would find out from the home owner if it would be ok if you came over one day to play with the dogs a bit. If they get to know you better, that would probably put you more at ease.

The biggest problem I find with the situation is the fact there are dogs running loose while yor machines are going. I don't care if they are pit bulls, poodles or pandas for that matter. You know how random things can happen. I know I've heard of several cases where a dog came running out of no where and clunk. The same can be said for children on the property.
    That being said, the Pitbull I have is the same way this persons 2 pit bulls are.

6. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

yea this is an account i deffently want to keep, it pays $110 a week plus i'm trying to find a place for my girl friend to keep her horses and john has a few free stalls so i'm going to try to get them in there.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem as if the folks spreading the folklore concerning pit bulls have a lot to learn, then again I could be wrong.

8. Have them sign a waiver so you are not liable for anything that happens to the dog - on the off chance he attacks and you kick the living snot out of them.

Secondly, make sure they understand that THEY will pay - not your insurance - should the dog attack. Not just doctor's bills - they'll pay your lost wages.

I wouldn't even consider it without them signing that they understand COMPLETELY that should I go down on THEIR property because of the dogs, that they will pay ALL lost revenues and doctor bills...

9. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't even consider it without them signing that they understand COMPLETELY that should I go down on THEIR property because of the dogs, that they will pay ALL lost revenues and doctor bills...

i second it!