Customer with alzheimers goes off on me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Nov 9, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Ive got a client that I have had for 8 years, has been a royal pita from day one. Sometimes he acted ok then sometimes would raise h-ll about nothing. Two years ago his son in law (friend) told me he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's and told me he had gotten unbearable and he understood if I had to drop him. He has been so so on and off for the past 2 years. Two weeks ago he called and told me to skip last week and come this week. I go this morning and weedeat and start bagging the yard. He pulls up and jumps out of the car and goes off like dynamite. Told me he told me not to come anymore unless he called. I nicely told him that he told me to come this week and he told me I did not listen. He has 2 cars and had bought another one last week and had been to the dealer complaining about it9thinks the odometer has been rolled back) and he did not know why the h-ll he had bought it. He has 2 caddys and his wife cant drive and was going to trade all 3 for a new Lincoln, totally unrational behavior. Now this guy is picky about his yard, wants it bagged every week, has a lot of pines and magnolias that put down the straw and leaves. I told him the straw and leaves would be real thick if I waited and he told me did not care. Just kept on blasting off on me. I hate it if he is sick but I'm not going to sit in a yard in a nice area and be blasted. I loaded my equipment, got half my money for doing half the yard and left. He was still raising h-ll as I pulled off as the neighbors watched. Hated to lose this one as it was one of the very few every week yards but it ain't worth it. Feel sorry for my friends mom having to live in this. He also accused me of not returning his phone call and I told him I did return his call, cant reason with this disease.

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope ya can't.
    and next week or even today he will wonder where the lawn guy is?

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Is he a good payer? I would put up with as long as a could, but I think I would have to draw the line somewhere.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

It's at the point with the guy that even what he told you about coming this week is not what he believes. With him giving you hell for what he told you to do and the neighbors watching this should be the last straw.

Next time could even be worse -- he might say you are the one who rolled back the odometer.

Nosmo

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would contact the son in law and maybe go through them to keep the property kept nice and clean, surely they know what is going on and someone is going to have to manage the property

6. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with this. Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, and eventually, someone will have to step in. You might as well be the one making the money for keeping the property up as the next guy.

I know it would be difficult to not take this personally, but you have to realize it isn't. Make it clear, however, that you cannot put up with him getting confrontational from now on. Unless the family wants to start doing the lawn themselves, they should be willing to work something out with you.

7. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Grass Cuttin' Fool is right. Contact the family. I'm sure that you have better things to do than get yelled at, but he does seem to need help. Maybe the family doesn't know how he is acting all of the time. He may need professional care.

I have an Alzheimer's patient who lives next door to one of my accounts. Last week he got on his riding mower and mowed his own yard, my customers yard, and half of another yard before his wife could get him off the mower. My customer tried to talk to him and he got chewed out. He simply got confused and didn't know where he was so he kept mowing. He's under professional care now.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

well d@mn where's these guys in the spring when EVERY yard needs cutting LOL!

9. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Well I can't offer him a job! Although he might forget if I paid him or not. . . . no that's just not right. I helped him get help that's the best I can do.

10. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pick up Bobby next time you head that way, let BG do all the talking and collecting...this way you focus on a job well done......if BG comes back with blood on his hands......you saw nothing, you heard nothing.....:D