customer wont pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mitchell, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wont pay his bill. We agreed that I would mow his yard once every 2 weeks for $30. I mowed it twice and he paid both times. I mowed it again and he didnt pay that time so I called him when it was due again and he said go ahead and do it again and he would pay for both cuts. Well it has been 2 months later , several phone calls later, on his machine, and 2 invoices sent to his address with no results. I have thought about doing a "drive by" on his yard but I wont stoop to his level. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Try to run into him in public places. Then "ask" for your money. People don't like that. Make sure you talk loud enough for the people around him to hear. Say, "Mr. X I have sent you a bill for the landscape service 4 times, I am starting to think you are trying to get out of paying your bills. I can wait right here if you want to right me a check." :eek: Grocery stores work nicely.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell LawnSite Member

Im afraid I would "woop" on the top of his head if I saw him. Its just the fact they think they are beating me. And Im not the one. Had a lady wrote a hot check for $35 I called her ansd said it bounced, she wrote one for $45 , it bounced. I left her a note to send a money order for $65 or I would turn in both checks to hot check division. No money order. Sent a certified letter to her for demand of payment and 8 days later I had my money order. This $35 yard cost her with late fee ,bank charges, over $100 . Go figure

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So who's doing his yard now? I'd be going over there everyday if I had to. He'd get sick of it ater a while. Also, someone had mentioned on here once, and ZI thought it was a GREAT idea, that if you happen to see that he has company(the more the better), that's a perfect time to stop as he doesn't want to be embarrased to his company.

5. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lady who was 2 months behind when I finally discontinued her service. She dodged me for about 3 months, and I finally called her on her job. She is a bank teller. She was at lunch, so I left a message with the person answering the phone, her supervisor. She returned the call that night, and I had my check 2 days later.

If all else fails, embarrass them.

Good luck, Bill Craig:D

6. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Had a customer that wouldn't pay once, decided all the stress and time involved in trying to collect wasn't worth it. Let it drop.
    If you can't do that, hound them, phone calls, daily visits. They'll probably break if you don't first.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

keith gave you good advice. as far as scraping him.
    sounds like more trouble than its worth. let him know the problem.
    then if he gets out of line, in a public place. hes the bad guy.
    then go to work. but take it easy, no need getting arrested. still sounds like too much trouble to me. later

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Send a letter via certified mail with the balance and the interest you plan on charging. Advise if payment is not made within 10 days a lein will be placed on his home. Sooner or later you will get your money, later will be with little or no more effort on your part. Charge the highest interest your state allows, let his late payment work for you! Try 25% if possible, that compounded over a year on two will be real good for you upon the sell of his home! ;)

Ray

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny, Ray. I have a gal that still owes me $80 for last year but I really haven't bothered going after it, it's not worth my headache. I think we just wrote it off.

Upon reflection, I thougt it was a good idea to add that my grampa told me (he's an MD) that private practice docs can expect to write off upwards of about $10k per year in non-payment!

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hats off to you kirby,good advice