customer writes the check

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by newmoonfarm, May 6, 2005.

1. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

one of my best customers kills me every time she writes me a check.
    she wants copies of all the receipts for materials and questions, literally, what every screw, can of landscape paint, item was and i used it for.
    she owns several rental properties and i do work for her all the time but it makes my stomach hurt every time i give her a bill.
    oh she usually adds a little extra on the pay (rounds up), and gives me good recommendations but it drives me nuts.
    anybody got a customer like this?
    i think she just wants to be involved, but i always feel like it's a trust issue.

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

If she is tipping you and giving you good references, there may be something else going on. I don't know what it might be. It seems like she believes you when you explain everything. Maybe she is a freak about keeping records. Maybe she has a husband or partners who question everything she does and she wants to be able to answer them and get them off her back. I had a boss that was always pestering me about stuff like that and it turned out that there was another exec trying to get him fired and this exec was always asking my boss the same questions at every board meeting, so he was just prepping for that monthly nightmare. Maybe she just wants to understand everything so that if you move on to other things, the next guy won't be able to screw her. Who knows.

I wouldn't sweat it if she isn't complaining.

3. sounds like expenses tax deduction evidence to me.

No such thing as to much CYA when it comes to the feds.

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<i>she owns several rental properties and i do work for her all the time</i>
    She's just covering her arse.She's writing this off on her taxes and wants the receipt copies in case she is audited.She could get by with just your invoice,but what's to say the IRS wouldn't accuse her of having you increase the price to lower her tax burden.Just my opinion.

5. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

Why haven't you asked her to find out?

6. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like our financial officer. One of the most bloody anal people I've ever met and being Scottish, I've met a few. My ol' Dad can squeeze a quarter till the eagle screams, but this guy literally counts how many sheets of lavatory paper each person should use. I've got a couple that are in their 70's and very proud Russian Jews. They are very sweet people, but, they are very tight with money. They own several businesses and scores of rental properties and they always pay on time but let me put it this way. If that old saying," the more you complain, the longer God lets you live" is true, these two will outlive my grandchildren. Sometimes it just what people had to live through that makes them the way they are. This couple lives in a little house, drive older cars, and looking at them you wouldn't dream they actually own half the town.

7. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

You show your customers receipts? Why on earth would you do that? I give my customers a price and if they like it I do the work. If they want to know the cost of operating my business they are more than welcome to buy it from me.

8. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

yeah i know, she's the only person i do this with, she was my first steady customer and she got me on my feet for other big jobs. i have a different relationship with her than any other customer.
    i think i've mentioned before that my location is in the part of texas that time forgot.
    i have a customer base that still operates under 1940's sort of rules. huge victorian houses and old south, who's your people, gentry.
    i have just started working in a larger town slightly further away, which is in the current era. i do like both sorts of customers, but the old fashioned ones are much more loyal.
    i do much prefer just invoicing materials and labor, take it or leave it. i also enjoy being in a better position to do that all the time.. when we expanded our business from a farm/nursery to include landscaping it was a whole new world for us.
    i have relied on you guys to help correct a lot of mistakes we made in the begining. every job gets a little better bidding wise and in customer relations.

9. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

I don't think she would need your receipt copies. YOU are her deduction. A bill from you for services rendered should suffice for her records needs. So, she must not trust you or she is just some kind of freak.

10. Mike's Yard Services

Mike's Yard Services LawnSite Member

Good point........Mike