Customers and Lawsuits

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MIGTurf, Oct 14, 2005.

1. MIGTurf

MIGTurf LawnSite Member

Ok, here's a story for ya. I started a new business this year and here is what happened with my first customer...

I get a phone call one afternoon from a woman responding to my ad in the local newspaper. She stated that she is unhappy with the work a contractor did and her yard was detroyed. when I got there, I saw that the yard was in fact a mess. as it turned out, she had a company come in and install a new septic system for her and they hit ledge. they stated that they could go no further and would either have to blast the ledge or install above it. The woman chose to install above the ledge which meant that the grade of her yard had to be raised approximately 18". She asked me if I could fix the problem and I said yes. As i left, I asked her why the previous contractors left without bringing in new material or even trying to grade things out. She said "i dunno, they just left. and now they won't return my calls." That should have been a red flag but I let it go. About 9 days later I show up and begin work. THe woman comes home and offers me a drink and I refused. I come back the next day to find a note saying there is beer and snacks in the fridge and there was a key to her house in the envelope. this made me feel a little sketchy and decided to get this job finished ASAP. So, the third day was my fiance's day off and she wanted to come work with me. once again, the woman comes home and is all googly eyed around me. then she looks at my fiance and gets all upset and storms in the house. That night I receive an email from her stating that she is easy to get along with but I was not allowed to bring women with me, only men! I replied to the email by stating that she is no more allowed to show prejudice toward my staff than I am. I also stated that if she was looking for services other than what a landscaper typically offers then she best look some place else. She replies that she is sueing me for the money she paid up front and would also report me to the Better Business Bureau. I did not reply to this email. A week or so passes and I get a call from the BBB. They tell me there is a complaint against my company. I told them the whole story and forwarded her emails and they nailed her to the wall.

Since all of this happenend, I am much more leary of clients. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar stories.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

youd be suprised how wierd people can be.

once did a yard. had lots of problems with the people. after i quit i heard from someone else that the old man once chased a jehovas witness down the street yelling obscenities the whole time.... just for knocking on his door on a saturday morning. :nono:

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Heck.. I do that everytime they come knocking on the door. Saturday morning, Thursday evening... If you don't see me at your meeting "Hall".. that probably means I am not interested.

As for the original post, when you are working for yourself and a customer does that, couldn't it be considered sexual harrassment since the customer is paying you and is in a way your employer for the time being?

4. MIGTurf

MIGTurf LawnSite Member

newz7151, that's a good point. Ill have to ask about the legalities of all that. besides, I could use a little extra cash now. I woke up this morning at 4:00 and found 3 inches of water in my living room.