Customers are chomping at the bit

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by woodall1, Nov 11, 2006.

1. woodall1

woodall1 LawnSite Member
    from Eden NC

I'm having issues with several contract customers this year. Leaves are falling as fast as we can get them up. The problem is that the customers think that since they are normally mowed once a week on say a friday that we should be doing complete clean-outs on friday, every week. How often are you guys doing complete clean-outs for your contract houses? The past several years I have hit them up about every other week. Maybe I'm in the wrong and should be there every week. I actually just answered my own question. I pulled a maintenance agreement and it states," Leaves will be removed from plant/flower beds 2 times per year. Leaves will be removed from lawn areas 6 times per year. " Another problem I'm having is that I might visit a property and check gutters, spray beds, etc. and the home owner does not see me there, so they automatically assume that we did not come to their property. I guess I should start leaving while you were out messages that state we were at the property and completed the following services. Any insight to impatient customers and the best way to handle them?

2. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

have some door hangers printed that say something to the effect that we were here and checked....and state what you checked. Leave it on the door.

Or you could make up some sort of form on the computer to leave in the mailbox.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

During leaf season I go out twice a month and clean them up ..but not weekly its in my contract ..then I go out once in Dec. Jan. Feb.

4. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

we sometimes have the same prob on commercials.. our contracts states it will be done in 2 stages if necessary, but they feel that we should be their every week. just kindly remind them of your contract and it should end the conversation.. but i hear u on this subject and wanting something for nothing has got so old but will never die!! it funny how they feel so ripped off in November and march cuz your not their every week, but they have no prob with u being their 9 times in one month because of snow..

5. aaronb2681

aaronb2681 LawnSite Member

We normally do our leaves 2x in the fall ( meaning beds and all) and then come back in very late winter early spring and do a good cleanup before the season starts. We do keep our yards cleaned up every mowing.

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

In regards to the homeowner not seeing you perform the services - I would definitely leave a note stating what was done that day. Even if it was just a scouting visit the homeowner will feel like they were getting something for their money.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm there weekly to make sure that their lawns look as good as it would if they were taking care of it themseles. I charge the same mowing rate + $5 per mower bag dumped.