customers are not your friends...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 26, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I had, and am still having a bad week. you name it, it went wrong. i didn't get to all my accounts this week, due to some circumstances. Today i recieved, and still am, recieving phone calls from houses who I thought were pretty good people. I cut them last week, just didn't get to them at the end of this week. figured i'd catch up on Monday, tuesday.
    but the point is, they'll turn on you in a second. like you're a piece of garbage. No more buddy, buddy crap.

Add this to my previous bad week thread.......
    I'll probably add another bad week thread when I call these people back, and found out they dropped me.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

see that adam, i told you. that's why i don't even bother calling them back. they are not your friends, trust me.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

when you say receiving calls, what are they exactly saying? If you show up every week like clockwork all the time, then don't show up this week, well then they probably are wonderinng what's up and if you are ok. And some will call.

We've been servicing this one guys account for 6 years. His name is Gary. We are there on time every Thursday at 9:15am. 2 years ago, we were having a problem with the truck and couldn't do our Thursday run nor our Friday run. Saturday Gary calls and wanted to know if something happened to one of us, he thought maybe we were in the hospital. When I told him about the truck, and apologized for not getting there, he says, "hell, I don't care about the grass. I just had to make sure you were ok."

Are they chewing you out for not being there, or are they just calling to find out what happened.

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Know how you feel Adam, covered this in that thread yesterday, they aren't your friend but want total loyalty but will shaft you first chance you get, and tear you up when you are late...

One way street dealing with people.

I do call most and most are understanding as sh.it happens, but the few really make you wander.

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

"just didn't get to them".... Doesn't cut it.

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

was there a pun intended^^^:)

jodi, they're chewing!

it's not their fault I'm behind, obviously, but Barnard, its possible to fall behind alittle in this business on a bad week. not once have i ever questioned a late payment, or been unpolite in any way. Imagine how they'd take it if I called everyday after a bill was given.....

it's my responsibilty to keep a weekly schedule, i know, but they should remember the shlt i do for them as extras. the guy i'm talking about speciffically is the guy who a couple of weeks ago had his house door kicked in while he wasn't home, and I called him, told him what happened and stayed around to ID the guys. I waited hours for the cops to show up while amigo fell asleep in my truck getting paid by the hour!! they seem to forget things like this when they want something.

7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I agree you can fall behind. But if I never let it go over the weekend without a call to the customer.It's just good business and the polite thing to do.And If at all possible it won't go over the weekend at all.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's always something new when dealing with people. Part of the business.

9. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I gained a 5 unit commercial account yesterday, when their guy didn't show up, they nullified their contract and signed one with me on saturday...that is about the 5th account I have gained this year in that way...I suggest trying to hire a teenager to help you in cases of emergency for a day or two.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Very few of your customers will ever be true friends. When it comes down to the nitty grtty if they hit hard times you will be let go before the cable TV gets turned off and we all know everybody hates the cable TV companies.

A little story...

In April of this year one of my customers came to me and asked for a price break since there was construction work done on her waterfront slope. The work disturbed about 1/4 of her yard. Her yard was always a pain in the rear to cut. It was a 2 weeker and needed double cut every time. So I told her that I wasn't going to give her a break and explained that I wasn't charging her enough to begin with. She said that she understood that but still wanted a price break anyway. She said that friends take care of friends. I said that was true. I then asked her if she knew my wife. She replied that she did know my wife and that she was very pleasant and added that they were good friends. I said well if we're such good friends why haven't you ever returned any of the Christmas cards we personally have been sending to you for the last 5 years. The cards weren't from my company, they were from my wife and I. She got this real embarrassed look on her face, thanked me and went back in her house.