customers becoming friends

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Nov 7, 2007.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

In my 7 years in this business,I have what seems like alot of customers who try to be personal friends.Last week a guy we mow for who is a great customer invited me to his house for thanksgiving.about 5 years ago we started mowing for a customers single daughter that had bought her first house,ended up kinda dating her for awhile.I also went on a fishing trip with her father and brother to southern KY this summer!Now I cut for a woman who is a federal Marshall who always comes out to chat when we are there,and lately has been calling me to just to chat.I dont know how good of an idea this is?It seems like some problems could arise.But then again,you can never have too many friends!friends that will probably end up getting you more work.

2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I guess it depends what they look like.

Pics!

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you can keep the friendship and business relationships seperate, I don't see a problem. I'm friends with several of my customers and have asked myself that question many times. There could be a problem if we/you and they cross that line.

4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL :laugh:

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have plenty of friends and they are not customers btw...I separate the two very distinctly.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i dont see it as a bad thing.

7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Mixing friends and business is always a mistake. Keep things professional. I've almost concluded that a holes make the best customers.

8. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

Keep business in check. If a problem comes up on business end of things tell then we need to get it worked out, So we can go get a beer . Lol

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Several of both my high end and middle income customers are friends.
    Never a problem as long as you keep up your end of the work.
    Part of being an adult is establishing boundaries in relationships, either personal or professional.
    Do what you are supposed too and things will be fine.
    should they try to take advantage of you, well then they aren't friends - just pita's.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We started doing some work for our Doctor, worked alright for a couple of years then I got tired of them pulling our pesticide signs as soon as we left the property. They were big anti pesticide people even wrote into the local paper several times saying how it was poisoning everyone and everything. Of course it was okay to spray their property after she spent several weeks in the hospital from a very severe poison ivy encounter. Anyway we got tired of the crap and suggested that they were out of our service area and to find someone else. Now every Doctor's appointment is a little uncomfortable. And I'm getting to the age where I am considering a viraga perscription and again it's going to be uncomfortable.
    Work and friends don't mix.