Customers calling me at my house...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Apr 7, 2007.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This crap started about last year, and just now it's starting again with folks calling me on my home phone...
    Maybe I should be more tolerant, but over time this practice really starts to frustrate.

For one, I feel like I'm being invaded, I don't give out this phone number, my best guess is they look it up in the phone book and once about a dozen or more start doing it, I don't care for this at all.

I have a business line, why the *&%^ they gotta call me at the house, man I'm about ready to tear into one, which now I better go cool off before I check the stupid message... Thou one thing's for sure, if it's one of the pita lawns they just got dropped lol.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ran into this, and what they did about it.

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

get caller ID or just let them know in a nice way that they can call the office and leave a message. You are not open for business right now. I used to answer the phone all hours of the night but all it did was stress me out and take away my off time, since I stoped answering the cell phone if I dont know the number and let the machine get it in the off time I have felt much better.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We have run into this as well a few times. The reason it happened is my wife has called a few people back on the home phone line. If they have caller id they will just use that number in many cases instead of the number that you leave them to call.

If you have ever called them from your home phone then that is probably why they have called you on that number. Now, my wife tries to make sure that she doesn't call customers from home on a regular basis.

4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I put the customers #'s in my cell phone, marked "lawn smith" etc. etc. Then I put a specific ring to that group. This way I know by the ring that it is a customer calling. I also have office hours M-F 8-5 Sat. 8-12 if they call after that, the call will be returned the next business day. They don't have my home #. I also don't deal with calls anymore, that is what the person in the office is for. Later, Tony

5. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Just have your home number unlisted, it only like a $1.00 a month. Some phone company's you can hide your phone number from caller id by dialing *82 then the number.

6. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

Went through this a few years back - really did get kind of annoying getting calls on Sunday mornings etc.

What I do now, is I use my cell phone exclusively for my business phone number. The sweet part of it is that my cell has no service at my home. But, I can check my cell voice mail very easily from my home phone.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

This is what is do, except i never use the home phone to call them. Always my business phone which is my cell.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I think I'll just unlist it.

It has been at least a year since I called a customer via the home line, I learned my lesson there lol, but much beyond that there isn't much I can do. For now I'll politely inform them that they may find my business phone on the Internet and that this feels a little bit like being called out on a business call in the middle of dinner, or some kind of mild message to that effect.

I think I'll go make the unlisted upgrade now, hopefully I can do this online.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

get an unlisted number, works really good.

10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been lucky, Mine call me on my cell!