customers calling you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRO CARE LAWN MAINT., Apr 2, 2004.

PRO CARE LAWN MAINT. LawnSite Member

for quotes on landscape material , but they will install it themselves, all they want to really get is our discount on it. what do you do when this happens to you?
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

If I get materials I am installing them myself! I wouldn't let a customer take advantage of me for my discount!! What would you get out of it?

i was called this am, the way the guy was talking i would be putting out close to 180 bales of pine straw and a few yard of mulch, then the next thing his neighbor is over telling me he needs some to, but they will put it out themselves, i could get the job with the straw if my price is good.
  4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

charge them what you would if you were going to do the job.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i keep a whistle next to the phone for callers like that
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Let him use the discount then sock it to him on the delivery charges. Tell him he can only get the commercial discount if you pick up the material and deliver it. That should put an end to that crap.
  7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol, those little air horns on a can work good to.:laugh: :laugh:
  8. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I will deliver. Ihave a dump trailer and I charge my hourly rate for the time I spend in picking up and delivering the material. If they want to pay fien if not no great loss.

thanks for the input, i will wait till monday and tell them to get it themselves, why waste my time and energy on something that i won't get paid at, that is why i got into this biz.
  10. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Do u own a any type of dump? I offer anything I can to my costumers why not make the $ on delivery and tack on some for material I get local delivery $60.00 within 3 mile radious and do it at the end of the day!