customers complaining about ride-ons

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Mar 9, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody get feedback from customers complaining about using "big equipment" on their lawns? We get 'em every year. Seems customers don't mind 'their own' mower tracks, but they hate to see "our tracks" when we make an application?:confused:

rscvp, thanks

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have not received any complaints yet....but I have picked up a couple of accts from other lawn companies being on their lawns when too wet.

I always make sure that I don't "track up" a lawn.

The only thing I have heard from customers about ride on's is that I get done too fast. :dizzy:

I just tell them that I have invested a large amount of money in the equipment to be effecient! They don't say much after that.

3. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

In my area I've seen the Quality of work not as good due to ride - ons!!!
    some companies hire new staff and put them on the ride - ons the first day. The weed pressure is terrible near the landscape beds due to LAZINESS from the applicator

I love my Ride on BUT I understand how the machine works and how the liquid Herbicide works ( If I get near plants I get my butt off the machine and spot treat weeds)

4. Lawnpride231

Lawnpride231 LawnSite Member

We get it every year in Indianapolis, especially in the spring when the lawn really hasn't greened up yet or started to bounce back when being driven across. We have 12 ride on in our fleet and use them on every lawn over 14,000 sq. ft. so we hear about it plenty.

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Around here its not uncommon to see a big corporate fert company's applicator drive across mulched beds cause they are to lazy to go around. The owner usually trys to blame my mowing crew, but anyone can plainly see the tracks wont match my mowers, nor would they ever do that. I guess when you are big corporate fert you can do no wrong.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, you must have tons of accounts, how many ?? How many crews do you run ??

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yes. I made some skid marks on a steep hill between several trees. Customer thought I was trying to climb up the hill--actually I was riding the brakes on the way down. We try to spray that area with liquid nowadays.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Thinking back :laugh: I have caused a few other problems: For example: Heat tracks--that was not funny. Yellow spots from turning left at the end of a swath. Killed a few flowers when I neglected to kick off the sprayer when passing between bushes and flowers.

9. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I haven't ever gotten any complaints, but I have left some scuff marks from time to time. Mostly when I'm spraying only, and no granular in hopper for weight. Luckily the PG doesn't weigh much, which is why it spins, but doesn't dig in too bad when it does spin.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we skidded up a few last winter making last fert apps. we had early snow and had to finish after it melted. it was pretty wet.