customers complaining/ ride-on = too fast

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We had 6 or 8 complaints from homeowners this year. They said they """sat inside their house watching""" our ride-on applicators treat their lawns. Common complaint was, "My lawn is only 10,000 s/f, but it only took the guy 10 - 15 minutes to treat my lawn".

I KNOW you Z guys and T guys have run across this before. Keep in mind that I followed up on these "complaints", yet I never saw anything wrong. (nice weed control & green grass) :confused:

Too much time on their hands? Does retirement age make some folks feable?I'd like to hear your stories. :walking::laugh:

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Only a few...but this is what I tell them
    "I paid BIG MONEY so I can get their lawn done fast...it is called being effecient"

I also stress the importance of calibrated equipment and putting on the correct rate. Machines are MUCH MORE precise then humans.

Dunno...has worked for me anyway!

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Thanks RC -- I was hoping for your opinion. I tell 'em the same thing ---- you get better overlap & spray with a ride-on unit on lawns that are 8K or larger (even smaller lawns). With the aging population (okay, I might be one of them):laugh:, complaints like this will probably become more common in the future. Sh$t, I'll be watchin' my lawn guy too when I get old (er). :laugh::laugh:

Kinda like investing $12,000 for a ZTR mower, yet some folks expect to pay "21 inch Murray mower prices". :laugh::laugh:

BTW it was 70 degrees in Davenport, IA -- 31 degrees in Sioux City, IA. :cry:

4. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

It's when they are paying $50 for a treatment that takes 10 minutes they are equating that to you making $300 per hour. Just tell them that there is $25 in materials and gas so I'm really only making $150 per hour! :laugh:

5. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Fertilizer at Lowes or Wallyworld is almost the same price for a 10K lawn,minus the weed spray and expertise.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh:roflmao:laugh:

7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

some people you cant make happy... before i got involed in this site i would've thought it to be cool to see one of those ride on's running across my yard.

i would tell them what RC said sounds pretty good to me.i have a friend in the mowing buiness and he has told me stories about years ago he had some customers thats didnt want his guys running there mowers on his drive way didnt want to see the tire marks on the driveway.......

8. Shegardi

Shegardi LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How many of the 6 or 8 are docs or lawyers making $ 400/hr..... :)

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people feel they need to "get their moneys worth". Rod's explanation is good, but there's no pleasing these guys short of pushing a spreader. I had a few that wouldn't let me use a ride on, but I have phased these guys out over the years. These accounts are time wasters and to keep them you need to have a conversation about the weeds or spot that you seeded or talk about their kids/grandkids/jobs whatever. One customer will call after EVERY application to stop back because something was missed. Prices are raised every year and they still come back.

10. BlackDog3

BlackDog3 LawnSite Member

I had a customer like that, she claimed i was too fast cutting the grass, which caused the leaf blades to be slanted in the wrong direction? Also she complained about my heavy mowers. She canceled my contract and got somebody else to do it. People who complain about stupid stuff like that are better off with the next guy then me.....I dont have time for people having not enough to do in a day to bother me with bs about how fast i am cutting their grass. By the way it s 27 lawns one day.. one guy one lazer..... guess i was just too fast for her...

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.