1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customers Dropping Like Flies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Jun 2, 2008.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Had 4 that canceled this wknd. They said they needed to cut costs and money is tight. Im guessing the uprising costs of fuel is a large factor. And with this being the 2nd day of hurricane season, theyre saying fuel will only get higher if a major hurricane strikes. Never had this issue in the past years. Losing customers sucks. Anyone else have their stories. Share away.
  2. All_Toro_4ME

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the perfect yard last summer $50 per cut for 3/4 acre wide open not one tree took all of 30min to mow trim and edge, then the lady moved
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, now I'm not saying you did this...
    But this is why I say never use the cost of fuel as a reason to raise your own prices :p

So whether you did or not isn't that big of a deal, but somewhere, somehow, somebody gave
    these folks the idea that it was all right to use the cost of fuel as a means to an end.

LOL, funny how that works.
  5. All_Toro_4ME

Yea, I know what you mean. Actually the prices were the same as last year so not sure what the deal is. They just said money is tight.
  6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

stay with the rich people and try to obtain more of them.they do not have those issues
  7. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

how can you not raise your price with these crazy fuel prices? you are happy making less money? we give a fuel sur charge not a price increase because if fuel goes back down we will remove it but why should we lose money? with chemicals and fuel going through the roof waht are we suspose to do we have to pass the extra expenses on. sorry about your loss
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Nobody is happy making less money. But when customers, especially younger working types, are getting beaten about the head with price increases on everything in their lives already, you have to think about how you handle them. Especially when it comes to increases and fuel surcharges. You have to look at every case individually. Some of them I don't care whether I lose, so I will be less likely to worry about them. Pass on the cost and let the pieces fall where they may. Others I will work with if need be. I have cut back services if they request it. I have had some that decide they will do some of the work themselves for a while, and I understand where they are coming from. Tough times require creative thinking.
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I wish I could charge prices that could absorb the cost of fuel as easily as some on here.
  10. Steveslawncare

Steveslawncare LawnSite Member

Lost a small church (2/3 acre, $55). They said that they had to cut costs. I drive by now and it appears that they have some Sunday Schoolers mowing it with a Home Depot mower, but they must have skimped on a weedeater. The stuff is long on the hills and corners. Another customer had a mower and usually hired me to do it because they had the money to pay for it. But now they "can't afford" my services. Lost another yard because they said they wanted to help somebody out from their church who has a LC business. Lost another because the lady said she thought we were "unprofessional." That lady came out about every 3 weeks and asked us to wead eat something in her back yard that coudn't be mowed. It took us an extra 15 minutes, so I charged her an extra 15 bucks once a month. She thought it should have been included, but I thought otherwise. Also, her backyard was fenced, and the double gate was backed up to the driveway. Anyway, the first 15 feet of the yard was bare (pure dirt), and uphill. It seemed to rain a lot on Thursdays, and I couldn't get my scag up the muddy hill. I could have actually, but then she would have had to pressure wash her driveway, haha. Then, lost a fert customer for Scotts. And a buddy came back from college and took his 5 yards back. So, I am scrambling to get some more on the weekly list. Long, but you asked.