customers hold off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stringblade, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

Do you ever get customers who dodge your calls or neglect to call you for lawn service, till it becomes absolutely necessary? I plan on starting this upcomming week the problem is.Of a list of 55 customers Ive spoken to about half. I know alot travel. some choose to find a different service. but its just annoying how people wait till its 6 inchs overgrown to call.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is why they need to be charged for the month of april. not, the amount of visits in april, but, for the month of april. i've had them play games with me and not call till the 2nd week in may. too bad, u still charge for aprils growth, and mays growth

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

yep i have two this season.....had one of them do the same last year.

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

nothing like waitin till the last minute, maybe you should have contacted all of them, and not took it for granted that they would renew.

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

well you do as said above they dont answer:cry:

6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i said, wait till last minute. all my contracts were BACK to me, in hand, payments included, by 1st week of march.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well Bobby, that works if you already have them signed up and renewed... in which case you should have your butt out there starting as stated in the contract. But if not, then all you are in for is an argument about how much you are charging to catch things up and then resume...

So the answer to the original question is YES there are ALWAYS the sandbaggers, procrastinators, cheapskates, and those that honestly lawncare is the last thing on their mind at the moment.

So far, I have not found a well rounded solution to the issue.
    I have tried sooo many things and none of them seem to bring consistant results.

About the only thing I find to be consistant is my increasing level of aggrivation with the issue and the fact that many call late only to find out "Sorry, but you did not return your paperwork by the deadline to guarantee your spot in my schedule. I waited an extra week just in case there was something unforseen. After that I had no choice but to take the next person on the waiting list to get on my schedule. I filled your slot in my schedule with someone else paying the same rate you would have been paying this year. So I am full now and the only way I could add you back to my schedule would be to put you on overtime, which means time and a half for me, and (1.5 x rate) for you. So if that is acceptable let me know and I will drop by to have a look around and let you know what it will cost to catch the place up."

I say it rather I have replaced them or not. But I don't always do the 1.5x bit, but I never offer to come back at the contract rate unless they agree to pay it up in full to date plus pay a one time fee for the catchup. It always costs them to put me off regardless of the reason. Legitimate issues just get more sympathy from me.

Some of them call or stop me and agree to pay the additional charges. Some don't. Some never make contact with me at all. As far as rather this is a sucessful way of handling it, or a sucessful way of 'weeding-out'... I really don't know for sure. It is something I have tried to analize. But I have not came to any sort of defining conclusion.

But one this is for sure, it's a pain and 100% of my current "outstanding" non-renewals fall into this category.

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have one guy now that has bu-koodle money .and i called him 4 weeks ago and told him about the weed ghrowth ( he is like 3 counties away) and he put me off .i called him 2 weeks ago and told him it was getting very high and still he put me off .now his 150.00 cut just went to 250.00 if he calls back. i aint screwing with callin him anymore .

9. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I expect it to happen and it doesn't bother me at all. If they procrastinate until when its ready to cut, at least I still have them as clients.

10. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Happens every year. Some wait untill the very last minute, or wait for you to contact them several times.