Customers like this are nuts...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, Apr 8, 2002.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I had a phone call from my contact at a church I maintain asking me to call. When I got him on the phone he was questioning me on why I never sent him a bill for my last cut. I explained that the same day I cut for the last time last December he brought me a check. He went on to tell me that was my Christmas present and I knew that and he expected a bill to be sent to him immediately. Also, wanted to make sure I was still going to maintain their property. This was about 3 weeks ago. Sure is nice to have people mad at you for not charging them. haha.

Today I got a check in the mail from one of my long time customers. I left her a bill about a week ago. She mails me a check and written on my statement is a note to me saying it was time for a pay raise. She regrets not being able to raise it even more, but she raised it $5 per cut. Instructed me to bill her from now on at the new rate.

I post this to bring up the point that you can be picky about who you do work for. It will pay off. Leave the junk customers to someone else. Take care of your good customers and ALWAYS return phone calls in a timely manner. Do what you say your going to do and be reliable. There are people out there that value your work, time and effort.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Good going Hoss !
    Is everybody in Tenn. so generous ?

jeffyr

3. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

wtg hoss wish they all were like that:D

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you end up getting another check from the church, give it right back to them. It will come back to you 100 fold! 100 fold!!!;)

5. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

65hoss,

I thought I was the only one that happened to! :p
    One of my ressies called me the other day and ASKED me to increase the price from $190/mow to 215! Geez, lemme think about this a min.....OK fine.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good goin' Eric..I'm happy for ya!

You're right...treat 'em right and you'll do okay. What goes around comes around,, huh?

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have had a few customers tell me I was too cheap. After I "fixed" the problem they never told me that again.
    It is nice to hear that once in a while, instead of the usual b----ing about the price.

You know when they tell you that, you must be doing some thing right in the way of taking good care of them.

8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

That's great Hoss, what goes around truly does come around, treat your customers good!

Hank

9. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Hoss,

you are truly someone I want to emulate. Congrates!

jim

10. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

three of my customers have given me a raise without asking. All three are long time customers.
    One has sent me a Christmas card for the last 3 years with $20.00 in it. It must be people in TN as that is where I operate.