Customers like to see a 21" used?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Apr 18, 2005.

1. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Maybe a silly observation here but nevertheless it's something that I've repeatedly noticed with several of my accounts. Most of my accounts are small-mid sized residentials. I can save a little bit of time and alot of effort by using my Z or 48" w/b Exmark by the time it takes to unload, load, etc. vs. the little 21"er. At any rate, I have noticed on the days that I use the 21" exclusively, a few of my customers seem to like it better than when I use the Z or Exmark even when the end result is the same - a good looking yard. You can see the disappointment in their faces when I pull out the Z or Exmark. It's almost like they want to you to hump it behind the pusher and I guess they feel like they really got their money's worth or something. Has anyone else ever noticed this.

Thanks,

BAMARED

2. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Most of my customers like when i use my 21's. they think there getting there moneys worth! if they want that type of service witch i offer, then you should charge accordingly! "Time is Money"!

3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

THANK GOD ALL MY CUSTOMERS LOVE THE BIG 52 and 54 inch stripes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not owned a 21 since some time back in the last century.

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bamared, I keep saying the same thing....customers are tired of seeing LCO's jump out with the big guns(ZTR) and then head out to the next job. I am stuck using the 21" for now until I figure the customers out???I just went out and bought another 21" from HD, Toro Personal Pace....i wanted a back up to the 21" Toro I already have.....strange..... :dizzy:

5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I've got this a few time also. Most of the time i've been able to convince them to let me use my 48" W/B. If they want the 21" its going to cost them more.

6. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few lawns that I have to alternate mowers on because of the ruts on my 36"z. I mow in different directions each time but it gets so bad that the lawn gets that ribbed look. I then have to use the 21" occasionally to give the yard a break from the weight of the Z. Same thing occurred when I used a 36" & 32" wb. Seems to be worse on thick St Augustine lawns. I guess its just the type of soil that will determine wether it will rut or not. I'm talking about dry ground too.
    I wish I had another mower to alternate with besides the trim mower. I need to get like a 48" so the tire widths will be different.

7. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I would hate if a customer would make an issue out of this. We spent the extra money on the commercial mower for a reason. And how could you, in your right mind, say that 21" cut looks better than 36", or a ZTR? Gosh.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of customers have the standard horror story of "the last lawn guy" that tore the crap out of the lawn with a w/b. But that's just tough. You think if I hired someone to paint my house, they would paint all the rooms with a 1" trim brush instead of a roller because "I think it looks better..."

10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Why do you let people tell you what you can use . Get some ball and tell them if you don't like it to bad and i bet you don't charge more for it do ya . I run alot of 21's but not because they want me to i have to its the only thing i can get in the yard in most of them .