Customers micro-managing smart controllers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

I have had so many issues with customers and their smart controllers this year. I have had many customers shut the system off (after .1" of rain). And, I have had customers manually running their systems when they think it should run (ending up with lots of Red Thread disease). The people who shut the system off will usually call me and tell me: "My smart controller isnt so smart". These same customers had the only green lawns on their street during last years drought!
    I installed a RB SMT at my house two years ago and it did take me a while to get used to how it operates. I quickly learned to not pay attention to when it runs, just look at the results.
    I know that it is my job to educate my customers on the technology but its getting tiring!

Anyone else dealing with this?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We are behind the times with smart controllers here. Rarely do I see them. The customer is going to micro manage it no matter what. All you can do is educate them to the best of your ability, and then charge them every single time you go out there to adjust it. That'll get them to stop :laugh:

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I just fired a good paying customer because of micro managing.

4. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

That thought has crossed my mind a few times!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Charge them $100 dollars every time you need to reprogram the controller ..... problem solved.

BTW, there is no such thing as an install and forget it controller .... smart or not. It takes at least 1 full season to dial in a controller to a specific site.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I always loved the folks paying thousands for a sprinkler system, who were unwilling to allow it to water long enough to keep the lawn healthy.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You don't fire people you work for, you quit them.

I don't care who you are, you always work for someone else

I may be very picky about who i work for but i realize that i need clients more than they need me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I need my sanity more than I need certain clients.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Those certain clients won.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

after about the third time we say if you keep touching the clock you can find another company...

bye bye