customers neighbor complaining

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zurfsturfcare, Jul 9, 2008.

1. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

im going to try to make this as short as possible. A neighbor to one of my customers that I have had for four years put up a vinyl fence this spring. A couple of weeks ago she came out and complained that we werent trimming along the fence. I told her that it wasnt our customers fence and that it takes more time and more liability in chance of hitting the fence. I explained to her that if my customer added a fence i would have had to increase his price to offset the extra time. Anyways, she was upset, and she has complained the last two weeks, this week was the worst. I asked her where the property line was and she said the fence was 6 inches off the property line. So I told her she'd have to pay me if she wanted me to take care of that 6 inches. She expects me to do it for free. So I asked her if my customer put up a fence, would she take care of the 6 inches on her side? She said yes. So I asked her why she wouldnt take care of the 6 inches when its her fence? she had no answer for me. I went ahead and told my trimmer guy to trim along the fence but not up to, to be sure he didnt hit it. Am i being too stingy??

2. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

NO! i wouldn't do it either!

3. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Nope, I'd mow along the fence and spray the fence line with round-up just so that my customers property doesn't look crappy along that fence. That way you don't have to trim it, besides string trimmers are hell on Vinyl. Heck you know what they can do to wood.

4. Hardee's Bush Hogging

Hardee's Bush Hogging LawnSite Member

I think you handled the situation as well as you could. Unless the neighbor wants to pay you for your services, I wouldn't do anything more.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

NO freebies!! sum people have nuthin better to do than complain!

6. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, how long is the fence? If its just a 6000 square foot residential you're talking like, what? 2 minutes of trimming?

No one but you, the neighbor, and the customer know whats going on. The HoA or passers by might go... "Gaw" why the hell dont they cut that tall grass next to the fence and it would look better.

From my point of view it may be stingy if its just a short fence, I picture it as a fence in a smaller residential yard, but if it is longer than that, I am wrong for sure :D

In any case, if she wants you to trim it, she seems like a PITA find a way to get her to agree not to try and sue you for nicking that fence, cause it will happen.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If a neighbor comes over and asks me nicely about some itty bitty little thing that wouldn't take no 30 seconds of my time each and every visit to just take care of it and keep the peace, yes I would do it and no I wouldn't charge for it.

It's an entirely different story when it takes more than a few minutes, or it's more
    than a minor inconvenience but 6 inches of fence line omg lol this really is too funny.

One does have to hope it doesn't go beyond that and they don't start taking a mile after we gave them their inch but that part of the story can be tackled if (or when) that problem arises, in the meantime I would've just took care of it thou.

8. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for your replies guys, i try to do everything i can to keep the peace, cause i want to keep my image up since the competition is stiff. I get 3 inches from the fence when i mow. The fence is probably only 50-60 feet long, took my guy 3-4 mins, I just dont want the fence to be hit cuz she def seems like the type to sue

9. randy448

randy448 LawnSite Member

get her to sign a waiver then spray the grass . technically it is her lawn you should be paid,you would be responsible for the fence.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Type up a damage waiver and make her sign it. State in there the facts about the fence being 6 inches inside her property line to a current customer of yours, and that the neighbor of your customer asked that you trim the fence line on the back side. State that contractor (you) will perform this as a courtesy, but contractor shall not be held liable by any legal means for damages to said fence resulting from service requested by client's neighbor.