Customers offer drinks while working?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DIXIECONTRACTING, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

bout a 1/3 offer , 2/3s dont.

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Most offer a cold bottled water on hot days but for some reason Asians like to offer me warm sodas that have been sitting in their garage.

3. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 LawnSite Senior Member

that's because your not worthy of a cold soda from the fridge, and if they went all the way to the fridge it would be to much like waiting on you.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda weird they didn't offer you cold drinks. Maybe it just doesn't register correctly with them.

I'm weird though, I don't like taking drinks or food from customers. I have one old lady that almost always asks if I'd like a ham sandwich. I've accepted it a couple times, and just put it in my trash. Occasionally I may accept a water or iced tea. But I also don't like taking the little samples they give out at CostCo.

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

But I am worthy and they know it. It's happened a few times with different clients.

I thought it might be a regional thing, like Europeans liking warm beer.:dizzy:

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

no, it has to do with the cost of the fridge running.

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Last year we were doing a little drainage job on a very hot and humid day. We were breaking our asses in this guys back yard all day. I was running a gas powered auger with the 6" bit to punch through 4' of hard pan and clay for about 4 hours straight until I physically couldn't pull the tool out of the ground with out help. This ****** not only doesn't offer us a drink when I have seen the cases upon cases of drinks in the garage, he has the nerve to call me from inside the house to tell mento make sure I clean everything up well. I guess it was to hot for him to come out and talk man to man. I hate rich people.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I drank from hoses for a few years when I was doing maintenance gardening... then I thought about how many times the same hose might have lain in the dog's dish, or was used with a hose end pesticide sprayer, etc.

That taste of vinyl, especially when the hose was sitting in the sun... yuck.
    Turns out it might be bad for your liver too.

When I added employees I got some water jugs for my trucks. It was up to them to add if ice if desired.

As I've been working solo for the last 15 years it's my own damned fault if I forget the water jug at home... or run out.

That said, a couple of customers with outdoor fridges have always told me to help myself. I skip the beer during work hours, but once in a while some Gatorade, SoBe, iced tea or diet coke hits the spot.

One Italian customer brought out espressos 3 or 4 times a day while I worked there. Bellissimo!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Shoulda just come out and asked for something to drink. Put him on the spot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Usually they do on a hot day, especially the women.
    I refuse the alcoholic drinks these days for insurance reasons.