customers on phone:"what is your price for mowing"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Apr 13, 2007.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am still looking for a good answer for this, instead of Well I need to come out and look at it. There should be a better sounding answer.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you the answer but in most cases, soon as they say that it's as good as over.
    Still, answer politely and keep an eye on frustration levels.

> My answer: 30 dollars minimum and for the first 1/4 acre, 5 dollars per 1/8th of an acre after that.
    - Almost always the come back: Huh?
    > Repeat yourself: 30 dollars minimum and for the first 1/4 acre, 5 dollars per 1/8th of an acre after that, so 1/2 an acre is 40, 3/4's of an acre is 50, 7/8th's of an acre is 55, and so on.
    Ohhh ok... (and it should be over in the next 5-30 seconds, as they'll usually stab themselves in the foot right about now).
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I'll shoot a price on the phone if they are shopping for Mow Blow and Go.
  4. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

topsites is that turf area or lot size?
  5. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

never, ever, ever, ever give a price over the phone. If they insist on a price over the phone, they're looking for the cheapest in town and you don't want them anyways.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It can be either, depends on the complexity of the turf mostly, but size of house and driveway can and do make a difference, so those prices aren't set in concrete, it's more like what to tell these folks who call asking. But yeah, I'm likely to charge $30 for a 1/4 acre flat square turf area with little obstacles and small driveway and house (not a lot of trimming) but they are minimum prices so it goes up from there, I've got more than a few $35 1/4 acres but some are $30.

I should say it's $30 minimum and UP to a 1/4 acre, but one hates to make things even more complicated, I'm trying to keep the answer simple. I think these folks are testing the waters, sticking a toe in the pool's water to see if it's cold...
    Afaik most never dive in, but don't lowball, might as well keep the water a bit chilly so you don't got a pool full of folks who fail to appreciate that it was you who warmed up the waters and not just their luck (and few will see it).

Now regardless of what they say, you still have to go look at it, you always have to see it before you agree, please.
    So if per chance they say ok, you now ask them 'may I have your address please?' and you're back on track with estimating.
    They may think you're headed over to come do it, but you first have to estimate the lot and then contact them one more time to discuss the price and a time, and payment method.
  7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well sadly at this point I may be competing at that money value soon, 5 years in this now spending over 6K per year in ads, and 10 returning customers, I have never lost anyone due to being upset with the service, just looking for cheeper cheeper cheeper.
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I won't give an estimate for lawn care over the phone unless I know the area very well. Even if I know the area well I don't give a set price over the phone just a general price and let them know I really need to see for a firm set price. You never know what they are going to have in their yard to mow around or move.
  9. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

I hear ya buddy. What happened to our market? I didn't have a problem with last years prices but for whatever reason, I am too expensive this year. The only thing I raised were my fert prices due to increase in fert pricing. Mowing is the same and I can't compete now. Too many "$20 any size lawns out there." I try to sell my services but most people just think a lawn is a lawn and don't care. Ugh.:cry:
  10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Which is why I do it. Save me the time and trouble driving over there. :hammerhead: