1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customers paying with credit cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mortymower, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

Hey do any of yall accept payments on line with credit card, if so how do you do it. Paypal? do you charge the customer a fee to pay for your fee, does it work and do people do it?

Thanks for the info
  2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I do not accept them, however I know of a company that does and they somehow go through Nextel. They have a swiper on the cell phone. Maybe they can help you. Also just call your credit card company and ask what you have to do, and the least amount of equipment needed. Remember they take a cut of your profits.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not on line, but I just take there # and punch it in later of call it in at then if I have time. 2-1/2 % is there share. No I don't charge extra but I do figure enough profit in on all jobs that it realy make no diffence at the end of the yr.
  4. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

CC's next year for us, but currently I have a few that use paypal. I use that money to buy supplies online, as I don't have an account hooked up to it.
    I do love the convenience of it and I'm looking forward to CC's.

MLMLLC LawnSite Member

We use our Nextel phone. i85 with the Creditel PowerSwipe. It's not the cheapest alternative, but it is extremely convenient and with the infrared printer you can print the receipts on the spot. We swipe about 5k a month on it.
  6. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I accept credit cards through my website. It is linked to paypal.

I do not charge extra for the service because it is a huge draw for my clientele.

I have a friend with another business and he uses the nextel handheld card swiper that attaches to his cell phone. It works well for him because he deals with his clients face to face whereas I rarely see my clients.

I highly recommend going the credit card route. It does cost extra but it is worth it.
  7. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I started taking credit cards this year because of cash flow. I started having some collection problems so I just use quickbooks. It costs $9 something a month plus a cost per charge. I just made out some authorization forms and charge the monthly fee each month and send an invoice that says "paid" on it. It works out really well. I get paid on time which really helps cash flow and the customers can earn airline miles or anything else they get credits for. I now take into consideration the credit card fees and have my costs nailed down when I do bids.
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just sat down with a rep. from a company that does this. It was $150.00(one time fee)for the equipment and 34.95 a month plus a 1.98% and a .30cent "swipe fee", so it would cost me $2.30 per swipe. I just sent out with my billing a survey to all of my customers to see if this would be an option they might use. I have collection problems this year as well.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

check with the Lawn & garden Dealers association 1-800-752-5296
    $35 for teminal & set up and $ 5 a month and 2-1/2 % of transaction fee
  10. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

With quickbooks you don't need a terminal, just the credit card number is needed. My authorization form covers me as far as approval.