1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Customers / Potential Customers in bad neighborhoods

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Coles Lawn Service, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Coles Lawn Service

Coles Lawn Service LawnSite Member

How do you guys & gals handle customers / potential customers in bad neighborhoods? Bad meaning: run down areas where crime & drugs are common things on any given day. I try to focus my business on the middle to high end customer base but I inevitably get requests for bids in these types of areas as well. Profit is minimal at best in these areas and there is also a major concern for the safety of my crew, myself and my equipment.

Is it better to just politely decline the opportunity to bid or bid high enough to where I wouldn’t get the job anyhow? Thoughts and suggestions please.

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

"politely decline the opportunity" Why even waste the fuel to give the quote. Just tell them you don't service their area and leave it at that.

3. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Play it by ear.... who's to say there couldn't be an eccentric millionaire a block over that is left over from the days before urbanization and he's still there through gentrification and he is looking for a total property re-haul. New lawn, new mulch/flower beds, new patio, new retaining wall.... the whole kit and kaboodle.. You never know. .......

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Hope you're equipment locks and you carry. Another poster almost got shot in the face over a wire thief in a bad hood. It ain't worth it if you can't go to the backyard and not worry about your gear.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I DON'T! Politely decline, I don't service properties I don't feel safe working at.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

They always pay cash, i love it
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

That's what guys with Wmart mowers, suspended driver's licenses, and trucks with no registration are for.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nice point Patriot (I love your handle). Most lawns like these areas often need total renovation. I normally leave a lawn care estimate (price it high), but I also leave a business card from a company that has skid loaders, can haul dirt, and can sod/seed after that. Often times, a total renovation costs as much as the property is worth.

We seldom "carry", but in these neighborhoods we do (NRA training recommendation). All my guys (except one) have a permit to carry. Even all the gals in the office "carry". Yep -- we are conservative Constitutionalists. God bless America and those who work & pay taxes. :usflag:

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Good one right there Oak. lmao

10. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

overbidding didn't work for me. I had bid high on one, they still called back. the backyard had springs, yes springs.. from god knows what.. all over the yard, and a trampoline that looked like a t-rex had a go at it.

Now, its.. sorry, my schedule is full. :laugh: