Customers / Potential Customers in bad neighborhoods

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Coles Lawn Service, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

You found out the downfall of bidding high. If you're the only provider that gives a bid because everybody else they called turned them down, they call you back and accept your price!!!!

2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

So, basically, you discriminate. Sad, sad state of affairs. You preach you love this country and then make fun of and denigrate the citizens you deem unworthy of your services. As if people who live in a "bad neighborhood" have money you can't spend. Their money doesn't count? They're beneath you? That's too bad. That attitude makes me sick.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

"I'm sorry but I don't have any other work near there and am only accepting new accounts on current routes"
    "I'm sorry but I am only accepting new customers who wish to have me provide complete property maintenance as my company no longer provides only mowing services"
    "I'm sorry but my route in that area is full at this time"
    "Thank you for your interest. I am not taking on new accounts in that area at this time but would be glad to refer you to a company that is"

Or just do lawns in that area at like 8am before s**t starts going south for the day around there.

4. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

So what? Cry me a river
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

there are areas here where i wouldn't feel comfortable getting out of my truck even during the day. discrimination? or common sense? LOL. It just is what it is. The thing is though, even bad stuff goes down in nicer neighborhoods. You never know about people these days. there was this one incident a few weeks back where this guy called 911 and faked a heart attack, and he held all of the firefighters and first responders hostage for hours because he wanted to get his utilities turned back on. the swat came in and blew blew his sh%!T away though.

6. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I'm saying! The dudes all bumhurt ab it
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Not enough money to outweigh the risk and extra travel. "The bad side of town" isn't just a catchy nickname. Its where most of our stolen gear ends up anyways.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

It is simply a matter of fact...low income areas can not support the typical service industry. If you disagree I encourage you too make your case by spending all of your efforts and advertising monies in these areas. Please, by all means report back at the end of the season and let us know how it worked out for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I really enjoy spending that extra five minutes walking the property picking up empty fortys, cheap whiskey bottles, fast food bags, and hair extensions before firing up the trimmer.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Condoms, syringes, crack pipes........the treasure never ends on a hood lot.
    Posted via Mobile Device