Customer's Rain Bird System

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by T. Wheeler, May 25, 2006.

1. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

To start I am no irrigation expert at all period.... But I have a customer that has a Rain Bird Rotary System. He says it is shorted out and will not work. That is all he has told me, I haven't tested it or anything. If its just a cut or chewed up wire I can fix that but if its really complicated I won't touch it. Anyone have any clue on what might have shorted out or what might cause it?, and how much to charge and if I need to be licensed?

2. grdhog1

grdhog1 LawnSite Member

There might be a fuse in the control box that is blown.

3. T. Wheeler

Well not to sound stupid but that sounds like a simple fix. Is fuse box near/inside the control unit? And what kinda fuses will it take?

4. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

1.5 amp slow-blow, What do you mean by rotory system? Do you mean the controller is mechanical?

5. T. Wheeler

6. T. Wheeler

Soory the 27/37/47 Series Impact Rotor Heads is what it uses

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Those are golf course heads costing hundreds of dollars apiece. The control valves might be similarly 'bulletproof' and not an easy fix. A shorted solenoid is always a starting point for exploration.

8. T. Wheeler

I have no clue what Im talking about.... Sorry for asking so many stupid questions. Here is a picture that I found of his lawn but you can see the head. It is in the lower left corner. Again sorry for ignorance

Rain Bird Head.JPG

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That's a simple impact head. Should have nothing to do with the timer shorting out. Rotary "system" may mean mechanical timer. A lot those don't have a fuse that I know of. Motor may have gone out.

10. T. Wheeler

To my best of knowledge there is 6-8 of these in the yard. Check each individual motor? Also cheaper to replace whole head or just motor. Sorry last question, what kinda control box if any will be in this and nothing could have shorted out?