Customers reason for leaving

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, May 4, 2002.

The majority of my customers did not return because?

1. Customer moved away or died

31 vote(s)
  2. Dropped customer to improve route or attitude

19 vote(s)
  3. A Competitor...I couldn't meet their service demands

4 vote(s)
  4. A Competitor...I couldn't meet their price

10 vote(s)
  5. Customer will be handling maintenance themself

12 vote(s)
  1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi again,

To go along with the customer retention poll, I thought being able to determine the leading causes of customer turnover would be interesting.

Please take another moments to vote.

Im offering a mythical door prize to the first 100 voters...

The prize: Good luck in the coming season.

Enjoy, thanks again.
  2. My # 1 reason for losing customers is credit/ payment trouble
    # 2 is moving - I get about a 10% turnover from this every year

That mythical prize-would it be 100 customers that pay on time and wont be moving soon? :laugh:
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot about the payment dilemna...future payment problems please vote under "Dropped customer" option.

I left the prize vague, yes you can have that prize however. Now the disclaimer: Toroguy is not responsible for the death or non payments to/from Bob Minney's customers.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Amazingly enough I have all of my customers from last year again this year. The only year I've ever lost accounts on any kind of scale was last year. The year before was the "Year Of The Crabgrass". It rained a lot all summer and the crabgrass was growing so fast no one could keep up with it. I got a lot of new customers in August of that year. The following spring I called these new customers to see when they would want to start and every last one of them refused the service. A valuable lesson was learned that year. Generally if I loose a customer it's because they pass on or move away. I have never lost a customer to a real, legitamite competetor.
  5. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I lost 1 customer because the guy that is doing it now aproached them in Jan. and told them I was not
    mowing any more. had gone out of business.signed them to a contract on the spot.when my customer found out she was almost as pissed as I was, But didn't want to start a argument. said she will be back next year. I've been keeping an eye on this
    freak and in time every dog has his day.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I often don't find out why they left. Over the years it has varied when I do find out. Pretty much every thing you mentioned has occured. Probably moving is the most common. I only send out ONE notice in the spring, and NONE to customers I don't want to hear from. This usually works real well for me.

As for the jack a@@ that took a customer away by lying to her, I would have encouraged her to dump him, and tell him that since he lied she was dumping him. I know about the signed contract and all, but I am sure it has an "out" clause she could use. If the loser were to try to take you/her to court over it, I am sure that he would lose when she told the judge that he lied to her. As for "what goes around, comes around" check him out, see if he has the apropriate licenses and such, if not turn him in. (if your area even gives one, I cannot get one, the city and state do not give one for lawn maint here.)
  7. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

we talked about breaking the contract but she is real passive. and I did'nt want to push her.
    this way i'll get her back next yr. instead of her
    being ticked @ 2 people & looking for someone that was not involved. she's worth the wait.
    gives me free run of the yard if it needs done do it pays on time & is a real good cook.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hey Kroll
    You would have to be Brazil's only LCO! (not now that this POS scrub came in) It's a real small town. I used to live in Switz City, near Linton. That's a speck in the road! Now moved to Columbus, what a breath of fresh air! Do you know who the Culler family is? They live in that neck of the woods. My cousin Josh Canada married Eugena (Culler) a couple weeks ago. Just curious if you have ever heard of them.
  9. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

not the only 1 there is 6 others that I can think of. not counting the new little start ups.
    I know the Culler name but but don't know any of them.
  10. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

I had a customer last year that was the poorest paying son of a gun that has ever took a breath of good air. He finally paid up for the summer mowing in November. I guess that is a whole lot better than not getting paid at all. The yard was a nightmare due to debri in the yard such as paper towels, fish and veggie remains in the ditch that stunk to the high heck! I also got my tail stung off due to wasps in a swing frame that got excited from the Honda trimmer. I almost creamed a boat paddle that was camoflouged in the landscaping. I guess that is a good enough description of why I dropped this customer and it is worse when they live a block from my residence.

:blob2: This fires me up just thinking about it!