1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Customers requiring grass catcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tilley, Aug 28, 2000.

1. tilley

tilley LawnSite Member

What's the percentage of your customers that ask for the grass clippings to be picked up? Checking to see if paying the extra for a collection system is money well spent.

2. sunrise

sunrise Banned

Maybe 1% of our customers ask for this then only everyother time.
    collection unit maybe good in fall for leaves?

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't bag grass! When I leave a lawn I'm 100% done. I will bag leaves, providing there is an on-site place to dump them. If you cut weekly, chances are you won't have to bag.

4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We get a few occaisionally that ask about bagging; I tell them we keep on top of things so you don't have to bag. Only time we bag is in then fall, or in summer when rain holds us up, & we can't get to it in time. Even then we usually just double cut.
    If a new customer demands bagging, you better believe the price is gonna reflect it. If not then too bad see ya. "I have others waiting in line......"

5. Yardsmith,& others:
    I can see the reason people like yourself and other refuse to bag when possible. My work area, very few people don't bag. Clients just expect it here in the San Francisco Area. Myself, I see the light now.:D This last month I have been mulching whenever possible. Gotta see how messey it's going to be during our wet season. The only time I'm going to bag is the fall leaf dropings and long wet grass.:eek:
    John

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

0%
    all mulch and discharge

LawnWorks

7. DBALLARD

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

I don't bag. Grass is 75% water and 25% fert , and I let the customer know that.

8. Ground Rules

Ground Rules LawnSite Member

I bag everything. No clippings left on the lawn. Guess I do it wrong based on others that responded.

9. Gus with small metro accounts you would be best served to
    only mulch when conditions allow.

I think it will take more time to clean the dukey off the
    sidewalks than it would to bag a small lawn.

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Stones right, sometimes on smaller accounts, its just easier to bag, especially if you don't have a mulching plate or deck. If theres not a lot of room, it takes longer to worry about where your discharge chute is shooting into now! Bigger lots that allow it, and you can keep up on them are more easily discharged.

I guess if your contimplating buying one, it depends on your territory. If you can use it for fall cleanup, than go for it, if the customers will pay more for bagging weekly, go for it! As long as there is a market for it, it'll work.

Good Luck!