customers ridiculous request

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hortboy, Jan 9, 2004.

1. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

I had a ridiculous customer call me today and inquired about a fertilizer program for 04. they just moved into the house in Nov and seem particular about there lawn. they said and i quote "start as soon as possible". I said "I can do a quick release spring fert as soon as the weather breaks in the spring". That was not soon enough for them. They actually want an application now as in Jan 8,2004. there theory being the fertilizer will be present when the snow melts and turf comes out of dormancy. Would you guys get your spreaders out and do a lawn in the middle of winter. Keep in mind we have only a dusting of snow now but the temps are around zero right now. I am supposed to call her w/ an answer on Fri. If i do it, i can assure you I will take my personal truck w/ no signs (company logo)on it.

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Spread starter fertilizer or lime. Neither one can hurt at this point.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know about NY, but down here in NC the grass will start greening up in early March, late Feb if the weather turns warm. I would put the people off a little by saying you need to take soil samples before you start your program, which would be true. This will give you an extra week or two. I dont know how your soils are but, here I would probably need lime, put that down now and go light with any nitrogen fertilizer as it will probably be gone before the grass can use it anyway.

4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Hort Boy

It's friday now so who knows what you've done.
    I'm sure there are others who would agree that applying anything to "frozen" grass plants with a spreader may damage grass plants or at least leave unsightly tire tracks till spring.

I would call the customer back and explain that to them.

If they want to hire a PROFESSIONAL hire you and let you do things right!

Good Luck,

Bob

5. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I would use a straight N product like 46-0-0 and explain to them that they will not see a difference until it warms up but when it does it will be the greenest lawn on the block.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

.....and we wonder why the govt. wants to increase regulation on the lawn industry.

7. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Grassmechanic, was your post refering to me NCL? I normally would not do this for any of my normal customers, but if they wanted something down this time of year thats what I would use, being I all ready applied a proper winter care application, it would not hurt the lawn in any way and it would greenup faster.

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt do it now. It would be irresponsible to do that. Not only would you have a potential leaching problem, but lets say you have a couple weeks of warm weather, with the fertilizer already present it may cause a flush of growth. Then if you have another freeze where would that leave you?
    It could also be a set up. I mean who in their right mind would want to have their lawn fertilized now?
    Hole in One dont take this the wrong way. I just think that we should practice our trade in a responsible manner. And sometimes that means telling the customer no. But I would explain why.

9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it, like others say won't harm lawn. I would also charge extra for the one app. due to you need to take equipment out and its not on normal route.

10. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

Homogenous, slow-release, 8-4-24 is the standard "Winterizer" here in my neck of the N. East.

I just did a dozen or so in late December after the last of the cleanups.
    Load the spreader light, tracks should be minimal.
    I'd do as they asked, charge accordingly, sign them up and take the money to the bank.

Dave