1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Customers Stihl BG85 locked up!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jeff in AL, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Customer brings in this Stihl BG85 and said it was locked up and left it for repair.

So about 2 weeks later the ticket comes up to work on it... I get the blower off the shelf in the back corner of the shop where we store this type of equipment and bring it back to the bench.

I turned from my tool box to the bench and got a slight wiff of some foul smell, then it was gone! So I pulled the rope and the engine turned over slightly and stopped... Then that faint wiff I got seconds before exploded into an extremely STRONG foul, nasty smell! I about sh!t myself and puked at the same time due to the strong smell! So I grab the unit and run it outside out back to get it the hell out of the shop!!!

I come back in and grab the T-27 on the impact, put a towel on my face and go out to pull it apart...

Well, here is what it was!!!

PA060001.jpg

PA060002.jpg

PA060003.jpg

PA060004.jpg

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Going to be hard to top this I think we got a winner:laugh::laugh:

3. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

Yeah, I thought I had seen it all until that came in...

My Stihl Distributor wanted the pictures too... They were going to include them in an update class. Last I heard, they were also sent to Stihl Inc.!

After removing the lil guy, I "degreased" the blower with some lemon juice added, reassembled and ran fine! They are still running it today!

4. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

That is crazy!!! Wow.

5. Liberty Lawnworks

Liberty Lawnworks LawnSite Member

Hahaha. I would love to be a fly on the wall in that training class! Good stuff.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree...... Musta been a hard way to go !

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Forget the critter...................two weeks backlog???????

8. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

Yup... Home owners go in line... Commercial customers WITH commercial equipment get priority service!

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah Fish....I never understood the whole concept of backlog in a mowershop myself..
    Guess you just get used to workin on 10 to 20 pieces of eqpt every day..
    I think the main reasons they do it are....
    1).....not to piss off the customer for charging $86 for an 8 minute repair...
    2)....to compel the customer to think about buying a new one rather than waiting for repairs.
    3)....their mechanics are crack heads....

10. Jeff in AL

from Alabama

I know right? Could you imagine how far behind shops would be if the customers DIDN'T take care of their equipment... It's a damn good thing they do. :laugh:

Drugs are bad mmkay!