1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer's Stupid Comments...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassBustersLawn, Apr 12, 2008.

1. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Last season in AUGUST when it was literally 98 degrees outside (and 85% humidity), we were cutting a commercial office building. One of the female office workers was outside at the "smoking post" post on her smoke break. My trimmer guy was working up to that area, sweating profusely of course, when she said something to him. He shut trimmer off to ask her what she said (as she was also our on-site contact at this building). She said "It is almost too hot to smoke today." Well yeah, we knew that, as we were ACTUALLY WORKING and not JUST SMOKING!

What STUPID things have customers said to you while working?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Them: 'hey rod...is it hot enough for ya?'

Me: 'actually i was thinking about putting on a sweatshirt.'
  3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I hate that one, that's almost as bad as "Boy, sure is hot out ain't it?" all being said/ asked while I'm soaked.
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep Thats always the dumbest i think, Man is it hot out. Or You look like your bacon out there, Or Hay Buddy you look really hot. :laugh:Thanks your pretty hot looking to Baby
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

"I don't think I am better than you, like some people, do just because you work for me":rolleyes::hammerhead:
    She says that about once a month lol
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have had people ask me if I cut grass, while I'm cutting it.
    Don't forget though, inside every one of them is Jesus, so you have to overlook the human parts. Tony
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Or the Devilllllllllllll:laugh:
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Well it was not while I was mowing, but when someone called me about service, they wanted to know if I did any weed eating, or if I just mowed.
    What I hate even worse than dumb question (it falls in the same category though) is when they just do dumb things. Like at commercial accounts someone will pull up and park in the grass while I am mowing. Especially at the convenience store I service. They will look right at you and pull in the grass and go into subway to eat (There are paved parking spaces there!) I make it a point to plaster their vehicle with grass clippings when they do this. No one has ever said a word to me either. :laugh:
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

This comment didn't come from my customer, but his neighbor. he said "while you are here, would you mind running your mower over my lawn for $10?" I felt like saying sure thing....wait here, we'll be right back.
  10. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

How about:

"So you probably want to be more than a landscaper someday, huh? You know, it's not a very fulfilling career"
    (This coming from one customer in particular)

which always makes me laugh. . .and

"So you do leaves?" while I'm loading a tarp full of leaves into my trailer. :laugh: