Customers testing you ......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Oct 4, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez,

I always have a few bunch of new customers that like to test the limits of what you are doing..

I just had an estimate where a lady wanted me to cleanup her front yard.. It was just a general cleanup.. ie) flowerbeds weeding, leaves removed and some shrubs trimmed back.

She started asking me all these questions, ie) How would you trim these shrubs? What type of shrub is this? When's the best time to weed flowerbeds?
    Do you know how to trim the rose bushes? Yes I do, at an angle below the buds..

She then saids good, Im just seeing if you know what youre doing ...

God, I hate these customers... I felt like saying, I want a credit check on report on you to see if you pay your bills ontime..

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't think I have ever had a customer test me in the manner you are speaking.

I have has a few play "trivia", but that isn't the same thing.

my experience is the customer tells me what they want and it gets done.

GEO

3. alpine692003

Yes, how low do you want me to trim these shrubs etc..

But to the extent of asking me how to trim cedars, laurels for that matter is different..

I should say, how's your credit rating? I want to see if you pay bills ontime..

4. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Alpine,
    That's too funny, but don't stop at the credit report. Why are you driving that car? What's up with that outfit? Why is your house so small? I believe this (the testing) can be contributed to the Internet and HGTV. I can see on the pesticide side of lawncare this happening more often. Like Geogunn said I've never been "tested" or sadly maybe I have and failed. Huh Oh!

Geoff

5. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I've seen alot of posts on this site complaining about 'scrubs' in the business...I would think having homeowners 'testing' a potential lawn service is a good thing. You should have good knowledge of the local varities...and if you don't then take every opportunity to learn. I've picked up alot of good information from homeowners (but had to disregad alot of b.s as well) no one knows thier own garden/yard better...

6. g-scapes

g-scapes LawnSite Member

I agree with Alpine. I had a guy call the other day for a cleanup job, and Landscape Makeover, and while there, he pointed to a 4 foot tall weed growing up through one of his shrubs and asked if that was a weed? Well, yeah......and then he went on to question every little thing I did. PITA...man, you got weeds taller than your kids, you got no reason to look over my shoulder. Slightly annoying.

7. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

"me thinks" they are just kicking the tires......... if ya got the money - then kick away !!

8. alpine692003

Oh ya, after that I told her it would be $180 to cleanup the front..

It will take me less then 2hours to do the front, lol ... trim the hostas, rose bushes, weed the flowerbeds, blow out the leaves..

She said wow, $180 to do the front? how many hours is that?

Well, i dont count the hours I just do the job until its completely to my satisfaction then I tell you and we're done..

She's like oh, okay... Well, i'll see how you do in the front then i'll see about the back.. THE BACK YARD, I DO NOT WANT TO DO HER YARD!!!!!!

How do I get away from her back yard? I told her $375 to do the back, but I think I misquoted her a little bit.. It shoulda been $475 ...

payup payup

9. alpine692003

Uhhh. we just finished this customer's house yesterday, she was satisified with our work in the front and CAME out every 10-15mins to check up on us.. Whats up with that? "How's it goig over here?"

She would literally come out a few times, my guys were thinking she was ****** ****

Then she calls and wants more work done in the front, trimming some fruit trees and once again asked if we knew how to do that!

:dizzy: :dizzy:

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is too funny. I always have customers try to test me with prices. One guy in particular tried to tell me that TruGreen fertilized his lawn (approx 2 acres) for only $65 per application and was wondering what I was going to price it out as. :dizzy: