Customers that are more efficent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Nov 10, 2005.

?

Have you lost an account to a homeoner that bought a Z

1. Yes, though thats not the reason I was told lost them

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. No, never lost an account and seen the homeowner using a Z

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  3. I've never paid attention if I did or not

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

How many lco and cutters have lost an account to a home owner that bought a Z? Now that Z have become popular and inexpensive I see more and more home owners doing there own yds:
    Efficiency came to the homeowner, its a 2 edged sword

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Z's will get old to the homeowner just like riding mowers. Once the newness wears off and they realize they have better things to do they will be calling you again.

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I will probably lose some to that in the future but am not really concerned about it. Some of my customers have riding mowers and others have teenage boys. As long as people stay lazy/busy there should be no problem.

4. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Buying a commercial lawn mower for my own yard is how I got into the business. I owned my Ferris 52 for a year, I then started mowing nieghboors yards, then people started refering me to there friends. Next thing you know I registered for a sole proprietership and I'm off and running. Thanks to this site I havn't made to many mistakes. I'm about as big as I want to be right now.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Most of these people don't know crap about lawn equipment. I have family members that have "Lawn tractors" and they don't stay running for more than a month at a time anyway. Little things happen like loose battery cable and the thing won't start, they have no clue. It's not long before the thing is sitting in the garage or outside with a four tires flat off the rims and the machine rusting. Mind you it was new 2 years ago.

So no I don't see the little Z's as a threat, because people can't keep em running.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

But the homeowners can buy a new z for less than 2 k when your chargeing them $40-$50 a mow they can replace the Z in a 1-1/2 yrs and never have to do any maintenence for what there paying a cutter.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have lost 2

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't paid attention.:D

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Two arceage account's,one the people put their maid to mowing.Wonder if she was made to mow lol.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

but its like a hundred and ten degrees out side. screw that!