Customers that just don't get it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have several Indian and Arabian customers. I have noticed that they do not know much about lawn or lawn care. Maybe they've never had a lawn before, I don't know. I always feel like I'm talking to a 3 year old when explaining things to them. I dont' mind, cuz I know damn well that I'm not Mr. Smarts when it comes to many things. but this year i had a customer blame me for putting tire tracks on her driveway. they have a cement driveway that is almost white. you know, the real light color. anyways, the marks were right in front of her garage from where her and her husband back out of the garage, turn, then head ou of the driveway. (they have a side facing garage). i told he that i was there to mow the lawn, not to do turns in front of her garage. she was determined to prove it was me..

and a few months back, the same customer tried blaming me for the driveway caving in! she said my lawnmower was too heavy, and that her husband was upset. i wonder what kind of car they drive if its lighter than my mower??? i guess i expect some people to have a little common sense. (i ended up dropping them, they were big hassle and i coudlt' take it anymore).

anyone run into problems like this? :confused:

2. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

not that bad but you did the right thing to drop them how long did you put up with this

3. I have been blaimed for a swimming pool cracking, a garage floor cracking, hell anything you can think of that it is almost impossable for us to do.

They get dropped just as fast as they thought they could blaim me for it.

4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Lucky for them they're your customers. I would've been thinking about pulling my leatherman out. Just to oil it of course.

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It is good to read threads like this. It helps to know that I am not alone in dealing with PITA customers!!

I'm doing billing right now, otherwise I could tell some stories!

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

takes all kinds. sometimes its just a matter of gaining their confidence.
    with others,i just let somebody else put up with their kinda trouble.

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony you crack me up. You sure like your leatherman. :D So do I.
    The leatherman is fix all for MANY problems. :)

8. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I once had a client who wouldn't let my female staff cut his lawn.

He felt it wasn't their place.

I didn't keep him long, but long enough for him to drive me nuts.

9. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I got blamed for running over a 4x4 post which held this ladies mailbox. There were tire tracks about 4 ft up on the post. I told her I didn't do it. She insisted that I did. She said it happened the week earlier. I said when did you notice it. She said the next day after you mowed when I left for work. (Red Flag) Meanwhile there was a field office for a road construction project, there was a gentleman listeneing to me getting yelled at, he came over (this was a week later) and fessed up to it. It is amazing what people will blame you for with absolutly no info!

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

We can and do get blamed for everything. I just mark it up to being part of the job. If it gets to be too much then I just politely move on and they find someone else to yell at. Life is too short to deal with a ton to crap from people. Some junk is ok and to be expected but when it is excessive and constant time to move on.

Gravely_Man