Customers that Shop Around For Bids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adamma Landscape Group, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

When you get calls how do you figure out customers who are shopping around for bids? What type of questions should I ask? :waving:
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, there really is no sure way to tell. My expirience has been if they are calling from a newspaper ad, they are usually price shoppers. Sometimes they will say something that will gives them aways as price shoppers. The best thing to do is just go out, give them a quick bid, if they take it great, if not, life goes on.
  3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes they tell you. But it usually comes out when I show up to the house and I'm talking to them. Most of the time they will slip and say something about another crew and what they quoted.

Alls fair though. We do the same thing when making a purchase.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Ever think about just asking? I do. No harm in it.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've wasted lots of time after work going on estimates that were just tire kickers. I first try to find out where they got our number and if they were working with another company and why they are looking for someone else. I always try to tell them that we are licensed and insured, members of the local landscape association, established in the areas, have professional crews, etc. If I'm getting a bad feeling, I just usually quote a rate that is higher than reality, and usually that is the end of it. Luckily most of the new clients I get now are referrals, and don't have to deal with random people calling.
    Red flags: When you return their call and they say "Which company are you with?" You know they have made several calls. Also, You show up to give an estimate, and there are other guys there giving the same estimate. That has happened, and I just drove by.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If they have had somebody ask what they charged that will help, tell them you will cut and trim for the same amount.if it is a good paying account match the lowest bid.
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want to match the lowest bid? Do you think your costs are the same as the other guy?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Read My Post If It Is A Good Paying Account
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Have they ever had service providers in the past?

What prompted them to look for another service or a service provider at all?

How long has the current company been working for you?

How long has previous companies serviced your property?

What is the reason for looking into another service provider?

Pretty much just try to feel the customer out as you go along. For quick general bids such as fertilizing/weed control or aerations, things like that, I don't spend a bunch of time on the phone because the bids can be done quick enough and we're always out and about estimating anyways. I'm better off just firing out a bid and see what happens as opposed to trying to qualify a couple hundred dollar job on the season. It's just not worth the time spent drilling customers as to why they are getting a bid.
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Big time hint: They want an estimate over the phone or without looking at the property. When they do that, walk away.