Customers that won't listen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

So I've got this potential customer that wants me to power rake, aerate, and seed his lawn. He accepted my prices, and wanted me to get on the job the middle of last month, but I talked him down and explained it was way early to aerate or seed, convinced him to wait until mid April. I also asked him if he had a fert service, and if so to not have the pre-emergent app done if he wanted the grass seed to grow. He didn't like that idea, and I explained to him that it would hinder germination if at all. He could still have the early fert done, but if he wanted the seed to grow stay away from the pre-emergent.

Well, the guy's incredibly impatient. He emails about once a week wanting to get the work done right NOW!! I keep telling him to be patient and wait until the overnight temps warm up, and even pointed out to him this week that it was forecast to snow/sleet this weekend. I can appreciate his eagerness to get the yard in shape, but doing all that too early can be a waste of effort.

So to cool him off, I set a date to do the work late next week. I then asked him again about the pre-emergent thing. He said that the fert company is going to do it this week, and if necessary they can come back to do it again after the work if I break the barrier. He'll take the chance that the seed won't grow.

I tried to explain to him a couple times that it won't work both ways. He doesn't seem to understand that doing the pre-em might prevent seed from growing. As much as I'd like to make the $$, I don't want to do the job and have nothing turn out right, no seed grow and no improvement in the lawn. I'm sure I'll end up with the blame for that, whether or not I deserve it. He just wants to jump right in and do things, whether or not they'll make the lawn better. And he's not listening to me or my suggestions. I'm about ready to turn down the job.

So, should I just do the work and collect the money and say screw it, or stand by my recommendations and not do the work if he isn't going to follow them??

:confused:

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do the work and get paid. i been getting alot of bizzare requests myself lately. and i don't want to hear this nonsense about "this is a reflection of your work". the nieghbors already think you're an idiot cus u cut grass for a living.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't care about neighbors. I just don't want this guy to go around saying I don't do good work because he put down seed killer on his lawn before I seeded!! Bad word of mouth is as harmful as good word of mouth is positive.

:mad:

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

not really. just a week ago, i got a call from a lady, who lives 4 houses away from another lady, who i had big problems with. i explained to her that i used to do her neighbor, and described my vehicle, and told her that we did have a misunderstanding, but it was her fault. she said well, she has so many services over there, she can't keep one more than 3 months, i know she's nuts. and, i got the job. birds of a feather flock together my friend, anyone who listens to a nut, must also be a nut

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Don't do it without a written and signed disclaimer.
    You are looking for trouble,if it doesn't germinate who do you think he will blame?

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If you think it's worth the effort, have him sign a paper saying that he understands that he is requesting you to do something against your advice, and that he will not hold you responsible for the results.

He kinda sounds like someone would become a PITA.

JMHO

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

show me the money and then crack him over the head with a baseball bat!

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

NORM, NORM, NORM, what the hell is wrong with you??? we are landscapers, use a shovel

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

oops sorry your right! my bad!:)

10. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

If you have think about it so much then stay away or get a written agreement. at least it shows you have morales. it may not reflect your work but it reflects the type of person you are. i would stay away since you know its not going to come out. let someone else do it collect the money and hear the badmouthing and then when he comes back running to you, you will have future money coming in and a customer that will know better than to question you next time.