1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

customers trying to pull fast ones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Mar 12, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Let's hear some stories of customers that have tried to pull fast ones by you.

Mine involved a fall clean up. They wanted the leaves removed from their lawn. Well, they had some woods behind their house so we asked them if we could just blow the leaves to the back of the woods. No problem, quoted them on a price and they said go right ahead.

We had about 75% of them in the woods when the customer comes out and says instead that they want them hauled away. I tell them that it will cost about $100 to $150 extra to haul them away from their current location.

She then says, "no they want, its the same amount of leaves that were on the lawn so the price should be the same as you quoted me for blowing them into the woods. Nothing has changed."

Some customers..I just don't understand
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I meant to say won't, not want...too sleepy
  3. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Verbal agreements will burn you every time, Spell it out on paper you have nothing to lose....
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh, well, you should just do what they ask. it's not proffessional to dissagree with a client.
  5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I used to cut a guys grass in my neighborhood and he moved out in the middle of the summer. I went down the street to talk to the new homeowner and I said that I have been taking care of this yard all year and I asked if he wanted me to continue doing it. This a***ole has the nerve to say " ya ya george told me that he paid you for a few extra cuts so you owe them to me now." I looked at him with no expression and said nice try buddy and left!
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

what did you do?