Customers upset about HUGE machines on their yard??!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DillonsLawnCare, Apr 28, 2008.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i just talked to a polish couple that had contacted me about a week ago for mowing their yard. the guys that were previously doing it, were doing it for $40. its about an acre on a hill, maybe slighty less. anyways, i charge $50. they say no. so i go back today (cause i want the business) and i say $45. they say yes!

they tell me that these 2 guys come on the big machines and just blow through their yard. they say those big machines tear up their yard and that they do more damage than cutting. so i assure them that my walk-behind is clearly made for hills. so everyone agreed and blah blah.

the tire tracks looked like it was a 52" or 60" rider. im planning on getting a Toro ZTR Z453 52" mower soon and i didn't think about the situation. so i could potentially lose this yard as fast as i got just because of my mowing equipment. that sucks.

i mean, they didn't make 21" mowers to mow 3/4 of an acre.:hammerhead:

what do you guys think? does anyone have this problem?
  2. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Pretty common thing you'll hear, just have to be careful not to tear it up. Use the walk behind when its wet.
  3. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should be fine.

I have the same mower you have your sights on. It doesn't cause that much turf damage at all (once you learn how to drive it :laugh:) Slow K turns are key.

I have a feeling the people that previously cut the lawn you just picked up, went full speed through the whole thing, doing careless zero turns, without giving a second thought to the damage they were doing on the lawn. They only cared about getting it done as fast as possible.

You can keep the account just show them you can operate a zero turn without damaging their lawn. It will take practice, but I have no doubt you can accomplish it.
  4. DillonsLawnCare

lawnboy858 i sent you a pm
  5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If theres room to turn around at the top and bottem, u should be fine.

I had a hill that I had to do crossways, and it was tuff not to cut it up some.

Man im glad I dumped that lawn. Was good $, but it was a huge pita.
  6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Mow it with the biggest badest mower you can find, and do it when there not home. In and out.
  7. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

just be careful on turns, go slow. i think alot of guys think that because it goes fast (the ztr's) in a straight line, that they have to make turns fast and thats were most damage happens. i'd rather cut a lawn in 20 minutes and have a quality cut than cut it in 15 and have damage. some guys pull up to a lawn and all there thinking about is how fast can i cut it and get to the next, (and so on and so on). just pay attention to what your doing and you won't have any problems.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm learning real fast how to prevent damaging the lawn with my z turn. It's all in how fast you try to turn, go slow when turning around and you'll be fine. Go faster and you'll tear it up. Now a straight line, well I'm rolling. :)
  9. DillonsLawnCare

thanks for all the advice and what not.
  10. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem at the beginning of the year. A customer I've had for about a year asked me if I could mow with my 36" WB instead of my 60" ZTR. I told her yes but I'd have to increase the price to make up the increase in time it takes to do her yard and she changed her mind. I believe she changed her mind because I hadn't actually done any damage to her yard (at least she couldn't come up with anything I had done), she just doesn't like the fact that I'm using a 60" lawn mower on her yard for some reason.