Customers wait till it needs bushogged

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm getting a lot of new work this year but almost all of it they are calling for the first cut a month into the growing season. It can vary from 10" to well over a foot. I know this will get me business latter on but it is putting me behind with it raining 4 days a week. I would really be having a hard time if it wasn't for the Scag and the open deck and I need all 31 hp. I'm surely not the only one running into this this year. I mean I have had to bring tractors in before on repo's but this year with all the rain it's bad. And to beat it all while I'm trying to get that work done I'm getting people wanting me to cut their grass while I'm in the neighborhood till they can get their mower fixed or their brother feels better, etc. The saturated grass is a real headache when it gets that high. Some of it wasn't' cut at the end of last season so it a real pain. I just came in from working after dark and were in for some dry weather this week thankfully.

2. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

i know the feelin.....it sucks. I've been working til dark a lot lately. People calling for the first time and i have been mowing for almost a month and a half now. and i only have a 17 hp on my scag, and im still yet to bog it down, now my push mower.....might as well give up.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I know I will be getting calls for new accounts soon... Granted these are usually NOT the kind of lawns I want to deal with, but it always happens. They have waited as long as they possibly could before calling someone. We have seen a really late green-up this season, at least compared to the last few years. So thing are still pretty much under control if they haven't been cut yet. I'll give it another week and I will start getting bugged by a bunch of calls. Most people that actually CARE about how their lawn looks call in march at the latest... lol.

4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here....if it's a new customer and the yard is way over grown, then I charge plenty for it b/c I'll pull out the Billy Goat brush cutter first, then rake or blow up the grass, then do a finish cut with the Z. Last year I had a customer call, bought a house from the bank. The yard hadn't seen a mower in who knows when. The grass and weeds was over 4 foot tall. That one took awhile.

5. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I did a yard today that took me 2 hours to mow today because it was so tall:dizzy:. Its too bad it wasn't a little dryer because I could have gotten A baler and actually justified my time on that yard:laugh:.

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah same problems for me...i had one lawn last week i had to cut 4 times "to get it to look like her neighbors"...well her neighbors cut their lawn once a week and she had not had hers cut since last fall.So i charged her accordingly. Then she tells me to put her on a 3 week rotation....in Louisiana..are you nuts..so I told her the best I could do is cut it every 2 weeks.....we'll see how it works out.

7. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Hey, at least your mowing....im at least a week or 2 out depending on the lawn.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Very true !

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Ah the joys of spring. Around here we have a lot of yuppies that are into saving the planet no matter how much it costs. So I take these overgrown lawns, charge bigtime, charge disposal fee, then compost it and sell it for $26/yd. I have some people pay me to bring fresh clipping over so they can compost them themselves, or use them as mulch around their yard, because they got rid of their grass so they wouldn't kill the planet with a little mower, and now have no material to compost other than a starbucks styrofoam cup and their colon cleansing fruit smoothies they can't stomach to drink.

10. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

Quote them 3-5x what it would normally be then, and then it will be worth your time to do it, otherwise its a pain and too much risk, and you never know what might be in the lawn waiting to tear up your equipment...and its def not a guarantee of work later on, I know this from many past experiences, unless you get them to sign up/contract for mowing beforehand.

And just forget those one timers and sick brothers, tell them you have a 6 cut minimum (thats what we use) it weeds out the PITA, cheap people, and guarantees you a decent mowing check at least. If your going to burden yourself with the headache work, at least quote high and get paid well for it. Think about it...if they haven't cut it and its a foot tall, that means they cant, or don't want to, and will probably pay more than you think they will to have it cut...just some food for thought.