Customers want different cut heights what to do on site.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rll131, Jun 22, 2013.

1. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another reason why i only run a toro floating deck.changing heights is a breeze

2. happyuser

happyuser LawnSite Member

Hey whats up oaknut? I too am in Sixburgh and could not agree more with that type of customer. I would like to hit you up direct. How can I do that?

3. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

What turf mixture is that Herler? Also, those stripes would look a whole lot nicer if they were solid.

4. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started, like herler, I was stupid and tried to accommodate customers on height. The Exmark was a pain to change though and it seemed like every time I changed the height I'd forget to change it back before I started on the next lawn. Also like herler, I learned and don't do that any more.

One PITA customer wanted the front at 3", the back at 2". pffft. I should say "former customer".

5. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

they want it cut short because every EOW customer thinks they should have a lawn that resembles the local country club fairways, but will never fork out the money to get even close

you could take the time and completely educate the guy on what happens when you cut too short, what happens when you cut more than 1/3 the blade off (guaranteed your doing this on EOW accounts) and then one day when he finally gets it, he will call you back and you might just get a weekly account who spends money...............or you could just drop him and try and make the next EOW work out

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

If you're good, you can play the game. When customers asked to cut it short I simply say sure no problem. They see it when I'm done and say it looks great.

The secret guys is to tell them you're cutting it shorter and just leave it where it's at. I even told one lady that I didn't cut it shorter AFTER I was done and she THOUGHT I did. Now she just lets me do my job and is happy.

I cut a WAY over grown lawn yesterday. So tall that I cut it at 4.5in. using G6 blades. I was shocked that it came out good as the lawn is somewhat thin. Sorry, no pics.

7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

No but you can get them with tire marks.
    Awesome tire marks.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Well I have been at this for 25 years now and I have personally been cutting 2000-3000 lawns per year. So I have 50-75,000 cuts now and the first 10-15,000 cuts were on fix deck 48 inch snapper walk behinds. So I may have a little "experience" in this. Your cut looked great now what happens when the next lawn should be 3 inches then the next one should be 3.5 followed by 4.5 inches. I was not attacking the cut of the fixed deck based on the quality but its inability to adapt to changing conditions as you drive through your list. We do over 190 lawns a week and when we are not messed with through break downs or weather we can get that done in 3 days as was the case this week. Being able to switch heights in a few seconds is a key to our efficiency.

9. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

I agree 100% with you. I may not do over 190 a week, but I do over 100 and it sure is nice to switch on the fly. I may have a 3.5" and the next be 4.25" the next would be a 4" and another at 3.25". I can't afford to be wasting time moving spacers. Whether it is a quick pin or a dial I need it to be quick and efficient.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

1 cut height does not work for all lawns. Period. Try cutting a thin lawn sprinkled with weeds at 4" and see how good it works.
    Posted via Mobile Device