Customers want Push Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Mar 20, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Did a survey and found out most customers perfer to have their lawns push mowed.

1. Number 1 Reason why? Was the mowers just go too fast and are too big

2. Second most reason they said they felt it looked better.

3. Third reason was they are not as loud.

This survey scared me and makes me rethink my purchases as the years continue. We have 6 Toro's right now and the rest are Walker mowers and Scag riders and 2 36 inch Scags.

After this we just might need to make a change. I asked myself this question if my customer felt this way I wonder who else's customers feel this way.

Oh yeah, Also asked if they ever requested push mowing and if not then why?

1. Number 1 reason they said they didnt think we did that. Well we just may be along with serveral other customers who want it, but the LCO will not provide it.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Well sure if you actually ask them...they'll say they prefer 21s. Don't ask that question again :laugh:

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them to push the mower themselves. I don't know anything about this industry but pushing a lawn mower all day....

was that survey of YOUR actual customers? or just ppl in general?

EDIT: oh oh, now I remember reading that people here like to refer to 21" mower as push mowers. Nevermind my ramblings, I was confused with self-propelled and push.

4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

If they want to be picky make them pay

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If push mowers were the main mowers I wouldn't be in this business period. I would find something else to do.

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Survey was sent to homes in certain zip codes that are most lilkely to use LCO's Some were of course our customers. The survey in no way indicated it was affilated with my company. BUt found out nearly 91% said if they were offered a push mow service said they would switch companies and most would pay up to 28%35% more for that service. I dont do the work anymore but I am considering offering the service.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Man What Kind Of Survey Did You Do What Kind Of Questions Did You Ask.

8. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

If they want it push mowed, that can be arranged for triple the price-I.E. 45.00 lawn = 135.00 pushed. They shut up real quick and watch the biggest thing that will fit manicure their yard.

9. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

J Hisch-->What sorts of lawns are you doing? sometimes it is easier for me in the city to take a 21 and fly through little lawns. 1 tank of gas 3-4 lawns. I have no problem using the 21. good work out.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We Used To Push Em No More We Bought A Z-cat.