Customers who claim to prefer the "natural" look

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Port City Lawncare, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Port City Lawncare

Port City Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have a new customer who claims to prefer the "natural look" as opposed to the manicured lawn. Now mind you she lives in a neighborhood where every lawn is perfectly manicured. People who are cheap amaze me, she has actually convinced herself that she prefers her jasmine edged, yet not smooth and topped, and Japanese Yew (sp?) trimmed in a Xmas tree form rather than boxed. This clients yard has ultimate potential yet she just has to disagree with everything I suggest.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

The Yew as a Xmas tree is very common and is known as a Yew Cuspidata Capidata, other wise know as Pyramidal Cap Yew.

Some people do in fact appreciate the natural form of shrubs, though in time they will soon need the formal trimming.

All our plantings are handled over time to be presented as natural as they can, selective pruning is done to achieve this. However, at some time there is no alternative to forgo the selective prunging and cut back hard or do the formal trimming to prevent the plants from over growing the space intended.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

natural look or overgrown jungle

4. Port City Lawncare

Port City Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

overgrown jungle compared to all of the other home owners in the hood. the whole issue is monetary with her. no chemicals, no trimming the torpedo shooots coming from the jasmine bed- this bed is huge and would really set her yard off since she's got very little grass due to the shade factor. I just don't understand why she doesn't want to maximize her property. the only thing she's got going is the shubbery and rose beds, yet she doesn't want to admit it would look better in another form she didn't think up herself.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u cant change cheap

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

You CAN replace cheap!

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I did have a lot of customers that had the natural look landscaping. And they expected my to do landscaping maintenance on them. I didn't know where to start and stop.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

That is a problem tiedeman,
    Where do you stop without going formal?It's a judgement call,and not always to their liking.Ya do the best you can with the information you have.I always try to be as specific as possible with these, but I always walk away questioning wether or not it is what they wanted, when done.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Exactly

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.