Customers who ditch you

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ExmarkBoy, Jul 2, 2013.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

That's why we also talk about things like "Attitude" & "Image" if you act, talk and look like a grass guy you'll be treated as such.

2. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

Wait till you do two apartment complexes totaling 100k where you have done 6k worth of work for them in 3 weeks then they turn around and stop calling you or emailing you back or returning any sort of communication back after you were guaranteed at least one of them.

3. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It's posts like that that make me a little glad I don't have the risk of doing commercial work, and a little timid about doing it in the future.

4. DQL10

Yeah especially when once they screw you they still ask for you to quote things for them. Commercial work isn't bad at all. I think it's better than residential but you have to wine and dine them and they will be customers for life.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ExmarkBoy

from Indiana

I know that most commercial work isn't like that, but $6,000 in work!!! I know it has a big payoff, but stuff like that scares me just a little that I'll end up with a big ahole for my first account. But even the fact that you could get that much work so easily makes me a little giddy :)

6. DQL10

Some have big payoffs as long as you know what to bid them at and can keep your costs low. Sometimes that doesn't always happen. When I was first starting out, I was a bit nervous about getting bigger properties. Looking back at it now, I'm like, why? They put their pants on the same way I do. They are just people too. All they can say is no. If you want to get somewhere in this industry, you first have to surround yourself with good people and employees that you can rely on to get these jobs done the right way with minimal to no problems. Some customers can be a pain, but you have to be able to work around that. Sometimes you just have to do a few small things for nothing just to please them. Like others have said, image and attitude play a big role in this type of environment as well. Just be persistent but not annoying to property managers and business owners. They all aren't bad.

7. ExmarkBoy

from Indiana

Yes, good point about property managers and such. They're in business just like us, right? Really the only thing I'm too worried about is the fact that I'm inexperienced enough, even with 3 years in the industry, that I'm afraid I will grossly underbid my first project and lose my shirt. But hey, how can I learn without making a few mistakes? Btw, have a great Independence Day weekend!

8. DQL10

I've only been in business for 3 and a half years but been in the industry for 6. Believe me I have made plenty of mistakes as far as bidding goes. But you're going to make them through out your career. Although you will make up for them. Talk to some of the people you know who are in business for themselves and they will tell you that they have made mistakes. Nobody is perfect. Just know your numbers and what you need to make to cover your operating costs and the add a profit margin.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Pm me if you have more detailed questions. Don't want to derail this thread too much.

9. cpllawncare

You really have to have a good grip on your cost in order to bid on anything, once you know ALL your cost and I do mean ALL you can bid with confidence KNOWING you will make money.

10. cpllawncare

I was just listening to dave ramsey on the radio and his advice for any new small business owner is "Don't be afraid to grow slow because your going to make mistakes, Don't take on too much too soon, even if your business seems to be taking off don't go crazy, you still may have to say no to some people and some jobs if you don't know what your doing yet. Take on a small job then a lil bigger one and so on and so on. To much success to soon can spell doom for a small company.