1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customers who don't care about their lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Sep 10, 2005.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few customers who just let their lawn turn to crap this year :angry: because they didn't have a sprinkler system and did not use any other method to water the lawn all summer. In this area we have had a brutally hot and very dry summer and anyone who didn't put a little extra effort into watering their yard was rewarded with lots of dead or weakened grass along with weeds, fungus, etc. These folks live in an upscale area ($200-250k) and can afford a little bit higher water bill. How many of you have customers like this? How much do you charge to rake the dead crap out and reseed? Do you use a 21" mower to mow areas you just planted several weeks prior?
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

in my oppinion, more than 3/4 of the people dont care about their lawns. we care more about their lawn than they do.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have two customers with irrigation and one of them doesn't use it. It's not that my customers don't care about their lawns but more like they realize that I can fix anything that goes wrong with them. We have had several mini-droughts (2 to 3 weeks) and a lot of them look like toast. I'll go in in about 3 weeks and cut them down to two inches and slit seed them. Cha-ching!
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

How many you ask I have about 40-60 of those idiots. As for what am I going to do about it its not my problem till they ask me to help.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

3 with irrigation systems that use them, 2 that don't use them, 6 that just use regular sprinklers, and all the rest, dried out or crabgrass!
  6. TripleT'sLawnCare

TripleT'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a lot of customers that do not care about there lawn. There attitude is as long as it's mowed and the neighborhood is not complaining then they are happy. Make's my business look bad.
  7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've always told clients that we'll be as committed to their lawn as they are. They don't do their part and keep it watered, don't expect a whole lot from us cause we don't carry a magic wand in the trailer. I've even gone as far as telling people that if they don't plan on keeping the lawn watered than why waste their money and our time on a lawn that's just going to brown out? I'd prefer not to have our truck and trailer parked in front of their drought stricken property.