Customers who know more than we do!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerMoney, Apr 10, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

One of my neighbours asked me last fall to put him on my list to cut his lawn this year cause his mower wasn't working right and he is an older gentleman. So a few weeks ago I gave him a price of $30 per cut. I'm thinking about 40 minutes to cut, trim & blow. He says OK. It took him more than an hour or so.

He knows I have larger equipment than he had. He tells me yesterday that he had his mower fixed and it cost him $300 so he is going to mow it himself again. When I asked him why he fixed it if he hired me, he says he just wanted it in case he felt like mowing between my cuts???? :dizzy: But since it cost so much he won't use me.

Upon further conversation, it came out that he figures my overhed CAN'T be anymore than $1.50 per hour and if I cut his lawn in 15 minutes (don't know how he figured that time), that I'm making $120 - $1.50 per hour, Told him my overhead is between $12 - $15 per hour and he says "Don't think so!"
    Tried to explain to him that I may cut faster than him but my equipment also costs more than his did, plus my truck, trailer, other tools, fuel, insurance, etc, etc. makes up more than $1.50 per hr. Wouldn't listen. :angry:

I used to have respect for this guy. Oh well. Would just be another PITA. Better to not start than to get aggrevated throughout the year.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Im not being disrespectful to the older folks but every pita Ive ever had has been over 60. You cant tell them a thing and they are still in the 1950s mode. 1.50 overhead! What is he thinking! I will not even waste my time trying to explain it to them, just wasting my breath.

3. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

MowerMoney, i know exactly how you feel. i've been doing this commercial lot for about 3 or 4 years without problem. talked to the owner of the property today and i lost the job because "it was too expensive and her son would do it for cheaper." it was only $25 bucks every other week, not huge lot, but a lot of weedeatin. i hate when people think they know it all.

4. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

"Told him my overhead is between $12 - $15 per hour and he says "Don't think so!" Tried to explain to him that I may cut faster than him but my equipment also costs more than his did, plus my truck, trailer, other tools, fuel, insurance, etc, etc."

I read this type of thread here all the time and just shake my head wondering why in the world you guys feel you have to divulge numbers and justify everything to customers. Know what your true costs are, charge accordingly and don't tell everything you know. Unless the people you are talking with have owned their own companies they will have no appreciation for what you are telling them.

5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

"I read this type of thread here all the time and just shake my head wondering why in the world you guys feel you have to divulge numbers and justify everything to customers. Know what your true costs are, charge accordingly and don't tell everything you know. Unless the people you are talking with have owned their own companies they will have no appreciation for what you are telling them."

T,
    This guy has owned his own business. That's what really got me. I was even telling my wife that. I thought he would have more sense. I think he was in retail. And you know how much that stuff is marked up?

6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I personally would not divuldge any of my business finances to any customer, not even mom or pops. You do not have to justify to anyone why you charge what you charge. As long as you know what your expenses are what you need to make a solid living dont sweat old ass know-it-alls like this clown.

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

My mother is my CFO so she is the one usually telling me my finances.

8. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

you guys will LOVE this one. it doesn't have to do with price but more with old people. When I first started maintaining this old couples property I had a 21" honda. Now I have Walker 48" and a Lesco 36". One day the lady goes, i don't think those big machines cut as good, i liked it more when you used that little one. Those big ones just push the grass down but don't cut it. (maybe the bigger drive tires give off that illusion) I had to bite my toung but inside I was having a Fit, how dare you bash my Walker!!!

9. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

new jersey problem again !!!!!!!!!
    oh well ?????????????????????????????????????????????/ :blob3: :cool2:
    payup payup payup payup

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I rarely work for neighbors...unless that neighbor owns his own business. Then they have a clue.