customers, who really cares about them

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Jul 16, 2004.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

OK I keep reading about how your suppose to treat your customers, like royalty. Well I don't give a rats azz about any of my customers as long as they can sign the checks. They are not my friends or companions they, do not know my birthday or anything about my family. To them I am the guy that mows there lawn or installs it for them and thats fine with me. They can all drop dead the second after they pay me and it will have no effect on my life or income except for that one instance and I will fill that with another paycheck real fast. So why all the fuss about treating them so great or they will ruin your biz. they probably have to look in there check book to get your name first. Start kissing there azz and might as well work in a factory at least there you don't have the responsibility for there problems. And yes I have had some of my same customers for yrs and they still don't know my name. OH Lawnboy!:D

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Treating my customers well has gotten me more referrals than I can get to . Every one of my clients know my name as well as my wife and daughter. I like it this way. People who feel a connection with you, no matter the degree, are a lot less likely to look elsewhere for lawncare.
  3. tom sumter

tom sumter LawnSite Member

Nice business model: don't give a darn about the people who purchase your services and, therefore, support you. In my neck of the woods, that dog don't hunt.
  4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

word of mouth can travel real fast...
  5. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Not give a rats asz about a customer?

Hell I took my coal company's commerical customer and four of his men to Hooters for a Steak dinner and a few brews Wensday night.

Today I got the first check from the coal company for the first billing cycle.

$34,985.00.. Yes that is $34,985.00 for about a months worth of cutting for them.

That is not clear money for equipment rental for another month along with wages and orther expenses need to be subtracted before I have the bottom line.

I will continue to give a rats asz about my customers. For they are the ones that pay the cash.
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i feel both........ i have some great customers, cut the whole family. see them out when I'm shopping and say hello. ask how my family is, my daughter.
    then i have the a-holes trying to talk me down to working for free, so they can make sure their benz payment clears. f'em.

I have a few of each type, then there's the ones I don't know there name cuz i've been cutting them for years and have yet to meet them face to face.

ironic, right before i logged on and saw you were the last poster,i hit my "Give me 3 steps" on media player!!!
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree a lot with Mac on that I am doing them the favor not the other way around. You show me respect and I am beyond polite and respectful back and many of my customers love me. That said I have seen how fast they can turn on you over typically nothing so I don't think love last forever.

I am the last one in my company to have to get involved in a problem by the time it gets to me they have usually not paid their bill in months or they were down right rude to my men or my partner. Its at that time they find out why I keep such a low profile because its a lot more intimidating when some one you don't know is pissed off and rips into you. Love is great but I'll stick with fear and respect to quote Mr. blonde in the reservoir dogs " if they hadn't of done what I told them not to do they'd still be alive" do what you are told and we get along just fine. If I install a lawn and tell you to water and I come back next week god help you if you didn't
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Took them because you like them or because of the $34,985.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

And you think that you got a 35k contract becuase they care about you? what if I beat your offer by say 5k you think they would still care about you becuase of a few beers and a steak dinner. Your confusing business with the idea that they care about you, and you care about them. Your wrong it all comes down to the lowest $$$ amount they can spend and get the most out of it.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Let's see, 80% of our new customers this year have come from referrals. Referrals from who you ask? Those customers that we give a rats azz about.......................The guy who sold his company for 32 mil.,His brother who does nothing but play on the exchange all day, The guy who sold his phone company for 10 mil., The guy who owns a large real estate co., The guy who is the #1 drummer in the world...........................

Getting the picture?