1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customers whom use Scot's Turf Builder Having Issues?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lego, Oct 8, 2013.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Impatient people deserve what they get. Good lawn care is not about instant gratification. Pouring on enough fertilizer to make it green RIGHT NOW!!! at the wrong time, using the wrong material is how people get where they are .
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I was just saying in another thread how nice it would be if Extension Offices condemned the use of 'N' during certain times of the year when 'N' might actually causing damage... Like July,,, when the grass is semi-dormant from the heat or maybe completely dormant from drought...

H.O.s are looking at the TGCL types and believing that they are watching the 'experts' on lawncare... Actually they are watching 'experts' and selling unnecessary applications,,, or what I like to call, RipOffs... :)
  3. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

TGCL? Not sure what that means.

Don't you know? The lawn doesn't need water, it needs Nitrogen!
  4. Smallaxe

TGCL is the national TrueGreen ChemLawn company...

Were these lawns irrigated at the time of Application???
  5. lego

I always call them Trugreen only. Sorry

There is no irrigation system on any of the properties.
    One of the owners did tell me that he uses a river behind his house which he has a pump hooked up to to water his lawn, which he told me he did all summer long. No idea of the accuracy or amounts though.

The others as far as I know no water.
  6. Smallaxe

That is pretty normal... They had no business trying to stimulate top growth by stressing the dry roots... I wouldn't expect too much else to give any real indications as to the brown spots...
    Cool-season grasses may get N in Late Spring , but then not again until after the Heat of Summer has passed AND there is good soil moisture again... Many non-irrigated lawns really only need a decent Winterizer as there main feed...

This year it seems that the Late August feeding could very well be my 'Winterizer' becuz I see there are still 'fertilizer prills' in the grass as I'm blowing leaves...
  7. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

around these parts, its TruBrown :waving:

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Why is fertilizer even being applied to a dried out lawn? That is just not done in my parts. Especially not on a residential lawn.
  9. lego

Couldnt tell you , I was just called cause the lawns look terrible.
  10. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

The company Scotts does a nice job around my immediate area and have a decent market share. They run a hell of a marketing and advertising campaign. The ad they play on the screen at Turner Field for their Turf Builder fert is pretty convincing. They have the benefit of major brand recognition since whole isles at homedepot and the like are filled with there products.