Customers with Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHoniglandscapes, Apr 10, 2008.

1. CHoniglandscapes

CHoniglandscapes LawnSite Member

I have an account, The lady is an old German lady, she lives by herself on a 3 acre property, nice size house, this is the 2nd year I have been taking care of the grounds and snow removal. She is a chatty customer and always chews my ear off for 25-30 minutes.. I think she has finaly lost it... Show up today to do Spring Clean-up as discussed about 5 weeks ago in her kitchen while she wrote me a check for snow.. She says to me....Who are you? I tell her, she kind of remembers me, tells me she already has a service but since I was here I could go ahead and do the cleanup. We start working, she comes out and calls me over and shows me a signed contract with another company.. Asks me to call the other company and explain that she had alreay signed a contract with me in Feb.. I do this, leave a message for the other LCO, he calls me back and tells me that this was from Last year!!!!!!!! She pays well, and I enjoy taking care of the property but I just dont know how to deal with this.. anyone else ever run into this kind of issue?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes, we do work with a lot of elderly people, and this sometimes happens.
    The best thing you can do is find out if can get a contact person from her. Such as maybe a son or daughter, a nephew, anyone like that.
    Because trust me, this will only get worse as time goes on, and it will make it difficult for you to continue to be paid. If you don't want to ask her, talk to a neighbor. A lot of times a relative will have already talked to a neighbor and left them their phone number incase of an emergency.
    If you can get ahold of a contact number, call that person and explain the situation nicely to them. Then tell them you are looking to send the monthly invoice to someone that should be in charge of this woman's finances.

3. CHoniglandscapes

CHoniglandscapes LawnSite Member

I did think of that, however, she drives, and functions in the world, she likes to pay as soon the job is done. 80% of the time in cash.. but I will have to do something, this happened a few times last year like a week after I was there and spoke to her for a half hour.. its kind of freaky.