customers with backyard pools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rainsofthouston, Aug 15, 2006.

1. rainsofthouston

rainsofthouston LawnSite Member

i've got a customer with a pool in her back yard. she insists that i clean out all the clippings after i mow. that's 30 to 40 minutes extra. i already don't think i'm charging her enough. she's on a corner lot and her yard takes me an hour and a half (2 hours with the pool cleaning.) my normal fee is 30 per hour. i'm only charging her the 30 bucks, so she's getting a heck of a deal. i don't want to lose the customer, but somehow i need to make this worth my while. any suggestions?:confused:
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

why are you shooting clippings in the pool? why not just bag around the pool area, I don't care if the bagging takes a few minutes more, it's well worth it. no way you should be cleaning the pool.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

$15/hr for her? thats what employees should make, not an owner/operator.
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I have a few customers with pools that I mow right next to. That is something that should have been took into consideration when pricing to start with.
  5. rainsofthouston

rainsofthouston LawnSite Member

i am bagging around her pool. i guess it's from the trimming and stuff. any way, it winds up in her pool.
  6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 1 yard with a open pool(not screened in) I mow shooting away from the pool.I walk backwards trimming so the grass is shot away from the pool. Some will still get in the pool, but not nearly as much.
  7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Tell her to invest in a screen encloser like all the pool owners in Florida have.
  8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

lol..thats almost 100% true
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

bsdeality and major tom are both right, i understand if there is a wind sometimes this cant be avoided completly.... but should the pool guy come and cut the extra long grass in the area where he backwashes....... kind of the same thing, maybe.....:)

i do have some customers with water features and i carry a small fish net for aquariums and touch up the water features real quick....AND I CHARGE FOR THAT>......price seems pretty low.... as mentioned..
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've always felt that these people that install a pool and put a 3 or 4 foot wide deck around it are really expecting too need a much wider pool deck to keep the grass away. The trimmer will shoot grass pretty far. I just tell them upfront that unless they buy a screen they should expect some clippings in there.