1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customers with big budgets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indiana, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

First time ever, I have had a customer want me there on property full time. Want to pay like they always have but want me there more.

I quoted an hourly rate in contract for any extra work along with helper and materials and mark-up on materials. This contract is in its second year.

Husband and wife have both told me, the place looks great. Eager to pay the bill at end of the month, very happy people.
    Even got lots of winter work (pruning, fertilizer, plant movements etc...)

How can I go wrong? Some of my other mow and blow accounts are not even worth mentioning. $30 and $40 yards. They wait forever to pay and no extras.
  2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

the only way you can go wrong IS,,,,,if they lose thier money,,,,,if they get pissed off at you,,,,,or if they just plain get tired of footin the bill!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Are you talking about droping all other acct.? If they drop you in a year you will have no business. how big is their lot. Can it support full time crew????
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea I would not be comfortable with a customer that was any larger then 10% of my business. When you get dumped your screwed. There’s a condo complex 2 towns over that has something like 600 units its likes a square mile or 2 the plowing alone is 30K per storm. I was spoken too about bidding on it this year and I would like it but the reality was it would be like 70% of my company and no way was I putting my head that far out on a chopping block. Yea I would make a lot of money but they are way too demanding and I don't have that kind of time to give them. Be careful and don't put to many eggs in that one basket you don't even want to think about what happens when you eventually trip.