Customers won't stay away from running mower, need advise.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Two of my customers have small children. One customer, who I am friends with will let the kids be out while I am mowing. This family has 2 boys that are both very intrigued with mechanical stuff. I have sent out letters to customers about safety, but after a while I'm back to square one with the kids getting as close as 10 feet of me on the mower. The parents act in this way too. This just isn't safe as I know the blades are spinning 180mph at the tip. I have thought of making a simple video showing what a rock can do. I have thought of mailing out a letter printed on red paper just on the safety issue. Does the OPE or some other organization sell a video that I could buy cheaply and send to customers? Any suggestions?

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Give them a letter staighting that while on there property, you will charge them $1(or what ever) per minute waiting for the children to get out of the way!
    Tell them that you will not mow while there are children/people anywhere near where your working and if there is, you will shut down the mower and wait till they leave the area..... At there cost!

I wont mow a lawn even if theres a dog that can come near me! Its lock them up or no mow.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would have to stress the safety issue alot harder to them or maybe you will have to stop providing a service to them.When I was a part time cutter in the evening there was always kids home from school when I was mowing. Now that I am full time I try to cut the houses that have kids while they are at school.

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I had one customer who wanted me to scalp (with the string trimmer) under part of his chain link fence. Fine, except he wanted to hold up the fence for me while I scalped! I did my best to be polite, but was very firm that I would not trim/scalp while he was a good 12" away. Similar stuff happens when we do pool areas in summer, having to shoo them inside while we work. This isn't too bad when there are some good lookin' bikinis...

Be polite about it, but stay firm about no kids in the yard. You may end up having to leave half way through mowing just to make your point.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

This shouldn't even be an issue...either they stay inside, or drop the account.....period.

6. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Time to let them know you mean business!!! Tell em one more time they and the kids need to stay out of the way or you're dropping em. Not worth the potential lawsuit, or it being on your concience that you injured a child.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The mower doesn't run with children in the yard. Period.
    There is NO discussion on that subject.
    My brother and I have a friend who's nephew lost BOTH legs below the knees because his father backed up the mower not knowing his son had walked up behind him............he was 2 years old.
    Put yourself in that position........................

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would stop what I am doing and tell the kids to go inside or stay away. I have had to do it many times. Being kids, they wont listen till you yell or swear in most cases. Worst case senerio the parent gets mad at you for swearing at their kid (has never happened). Or the other way, kid with no legs or life.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

saftey is an issue which i feel very strongly on. nothing should be near you when you are running equipment, humans or animals. i have seen a number of accident on contruction sites, and all of them could have been prevented. make it very clear to them, either they are in the house or your not working!!!!!!!!! period end of story.

10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I firmly yet politely tell my customers that they must keep their children in the house while I'm on their property. 100% compliance, no complaints.